WFP delivered food aid to Haitians

Anjali Sharma

GG News Bureau
UNITED NATIONS, 16th May. 
UN deputy spokesperson Farhan Haq told reporters in New York on Wednesday that the UN agencies are reaching Haitians in the capital and other areas after the gang violence.

Mr. Haq said the World Food Programme distributed close to 10,000 hot meals on Monday and Tuesday to about 5,000 people displaced in the Port-au-Prince metropolitan area.

UN agency started to transition from hot meals distributions to cash-based transfers for the displaced.

“So far, more than 37,000 people received cash. In the coming weeks, WFP is planning to provide cash assistance to over 95,000 displaced people,” Haq said.

WFP continued food distributions in Cité Soleil, and more than 65,000 people have received food since last Friday, he said.

Haq added that the agency’s goal is to reach 95,000 people by the end of this week.

WFP has reached 195,000 school children throughout Haiti as part of its school meal programmes,

WFP is planning to start providing hot meal distributions in this community on Thursday in Gressier, a neighborhood in Port-au-Prince, after violent incidents there.

International Organization for Migration distributed water to two sites hosting displaced people and provided health services through a mobile clinic in one site in Port-au-Prince.

Comments are closed.