UNSC meets on Israel-Iran crisis, Guterres urges ‘give peace a chance’

By Anjali Sharma

UNITED NATIONS – UN Security Council on Friday held an emergency session on the ongoing hostilities between Iran and Israel.

The meeting was requested by Iran, with support from Algeria, China, Pakistan and Russia. 

UN head António Guterres addressed the Council members along with the top officials – International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) Director General Rafael Mariano Grossi and Rosemary DiCarlo, Under-Secretary-General for political in New York.

Mr. Guterres said the world was facing a defining moment one that would shape not only the fate of nations, but the future of humanity.

He warned that the confrontation between Israel and Iran was escalated rapidly, killed civilians, devastating homes and infrastructure, and even targeting nuclear facilities.

“We are not drifting toward crisis – we are racing toward it,” he said. “We are not witnessing isolated incidents – we are on course to potential chaos.”

He urged all parties, and the Council itself, to “give peace a chance” and act urgently to prevent further escalation. The expansion of the conflict, he cautioned, could “ignite a fire that no one can control.”

Guterres acknowledged the decades of underlying tensions between Iran and Israel, but stressed that the core issue today was the nuclear question and the risks it poses for regional and global security.

He shifted the focus to nuclear non-proliferation and the path forward.

SG said the Non-Proliferation Treaty remained a cornerstone of international security and underscored that Iran must respect its commitments.

He noted that Iran had repeatedly stated it was not seeking nuclear weapons, a “trust gap” that could only be bridged through diplomacy.

That, he said, must include a credible, comprehensive, and verifiable solution with full access for IAEA inspectors.

He appealed for an end to the fighting and a return to serious negotiations.

Guterres called on Council members to act with “unity and urgency” and the international community to support diplomacy grounded in international law.

He linked the urgency of this crisis to the “unfolding horrors in Gaza,” warned that the only predictable thing about continued conflict was its unpredictability.

“Let us not look back on this decisive moment with regret,” he said.

“Let us act – responsibly and together – to pull the region, and our world, back from the brink.”

The conflict between Iran and Israel erupted on 13 June when Israel launched strikes across Iran, targeted nuclear facilities and key military infrastructure.

Iran has responded with a series of missile and drone attacks. Civilians have been killed and injured on both sides, with reported deaths surpassed 240. 

Under-Secretary-General for political affairs, Rosemary DiCarlo, also briefed the Security Council, warned that the widening scale of attacks between Israel and Iran is having devastating consequences for civilians.

IAEA chief Rafael Grossi warned of ‘sharp degradation’ in nuclear safety after attacks in Iran

Rafael Grossi, Director General of the UN’s nuclear watchdog has briefed the Security Council, warned that Israeli attacks on nuclear sites in Iran have caused “a sharp degradation” in nuclear safety and security.“Though they have not so far led to a radiological release affecting the public – there is a danger this could occur,” he said.

Mr. Grossi confirmed that the IAEA has been monitoring the situation since Israel began its strikes on 13 June, and stressed the agency is prepared to respond to any nuclear or radiological emergency.

He described Israeli use of ground-penetrating munitions at several facilities, resulted in structural damage. In recent hours, several countries in the region had contacted the IAEA to voice concern.

Mr. Grossi issued a stark warning about potential strikes on the Bushehr nuclear power plant. A direct hit, or damage to its power supply, could result in a major radiological release requiring evacuations and other emergency measures.

He raised alarms over the risk of strikes on nuclear facilities in densely populated areas like Tehran, which could have catastrophic consequences.

Mr. Grossi reaffirmed that the IAEA’s commitment to staying present in Iran and resuming inspections as soon as conditions allow.

He stressed that inspector safety is paramount, and called on Iran to ensure secure communications with the Agency.

Grossi told the council members that nuclear facilities and material must not be shrouded by the fog of war,”.

He reiterated that armed attacks on nuclear sites must never take place and warned of severe consequences within and beyond the region.

“The IAEA will not stand idle,” he said.

He called on Security Council members to back efforts to restore inspections and protect nuclear infrastructure.

Mr. Grossi urged the international community not to miss the chance for peace “A diplomatic solution is within reach the alternative is a protracted conflict and a looming threat of nuclear proliferation.”

Chinese Ambassador to the UN FU Cong has expressed support for the Secretary General’s call to end the fighting and resume diplomatic negotiations.

“Israel’s action violates international law and the norms of international relations, jeopardizes the sovereignty and security of Iran, and undermines regional peace and stability. China unequivocally condemns this,” he said.

Mr. Fu called for an immediate ceasefire and the protection of civilians, emphasized that “the parties to the conflict, Israel in particular, should cease fire as soon as possible to prevent the conflict from escalating.”

He called for a renewed commitment to dialogue and for the international community to pursue peace “We must not waver in the general direction of a political settlement to the Iranian nuclear issue, and we must persist in returning the Iranian nuclear issue to the track of a political solution through dialogue and negotiations.”

Pakistani Ambassador to the UN Asim Iftikhar Ahmad said that the aggravated tensions in the region must not scuttle a nuclear deal.

Asim Iftikhar Ahmad warned that the strikes against Iranian nuclear facilities and ongoing violence have “aggravated” regional tensions and threatened peace and security. 

He said “End the hostilities and promote de-escalation while achieving a comprehensive ceasefire before the situation spirals out of control and threatens the peace and stability of the entire region.”

Ambassador Asim condemned the Israeli strikes which began on 13 June and said that these strikes violated the sovereignty and territorial integrity of Iran. 

“Pakistan strongly condemns the unjustified and illegitimate aggression by Israel. We stand in solidarity with the people of Iran,” Ahmad said. 

He called the Security Council to take action and uphold its international responsibilities, and stated that the world cannot allow ongoing violence ot “scuttle” negotiations regarding Iran’s nuclear capacities. Negotiations, he noted, are the only way to achieve a sustainable deal.

Russian Ambassador to the UN Vassily Nebenzia declared ‘Apocalyptic’ escalation and said that Russia demands end to Israeli strikes over Iran.

Nebenzia said the world has been “flooded with images” of explosions over Tel Aviv, Tehran, and other cities since the Iran-Israel escalation began on 13 June.

He described the situation as “apocalyptic,” with civilians on both sides forced into shelters and casualties mounting. Airspace closures have trapped third-country nationals who are struggling to return home.

Mr. Nebenzia said that Iran’s nuclear facilities are under IAEA safeguards and subject to continuous inspections.  

“Not a single member of this body is under more stringent oversight,” he said.

He accused the US, UK, France, and Germany of promoting “groundless fabrications” about alleged Iranian nuclear weapons ambitions. 

Ambassador Vassily Nebenzia criticized the timing of Israel’s strikes on Iran, noted that they occurred after what he termed the humanitarian disaster in Gaza and ahead of a planned high-level UN conference on the two-State solution.

Nebenzia stated that nuclear facilities must not be targeted and called on “West Jerusalem to immediately cease attacks and raids on Iran, first and foremost, the nuclear facilities which are under the protection of the IAEA.”

He also urged the IAEA to provide a detailed report assessing the damage to Iran’s nuclear sites, adding that Russia is ready to “seek relevant solutions and decisions at the UN Security Council to engage constructively with all parties who genuinely advocate diplomacy and dialogue.”

US acting Ambassador Dorothy Shea said that America stands with Israel and their actions.

She said that the US fully supports the actions of Israel against the nuclear capacities of Iran, which has been a “constant menace” to the peace and security of the region. 

Ambassador Dorothy Shea called on Iran to “completely abandon its nuclear enrichment programme” as well as “all aspirations of acquiring a nuclear weapon.”

Ms. Shea said “While the United States was not involved in Israel’s strikes, let there be no doubt that the United States continues to stand with Israel and supports its actions against Iran’s nuclear ambitions,”.

She added that the Iranian Government could have avoided this conflict by agreeing to a deal which ended their chance at developing a nuclear weapon. But instead the government chose to “delay and deny.”

“We can no longer ignore that Iran has all that it needs to achieve a nuclear weapon,” Ms. Shea said.

“All it needs is a decision from their Supreme Leader. That is unacceptable and this council must urge them to change course.”

She hailed the professionalism and work of the IAEA, Ms. Shea reiterated President Trump’s call for the Iranian Government to cease their nuclear weapons programme and choose a different path.  

“The Iranian Government must abandon its nuclear ambition so that there is not more destruction [and] choose instead prosperity for their people.”

French Ambassador to the UN Jérôme Bonnafont called for restraint, de-escalation of tensions between the two rivals Iran and Israel.

Jérôme Bonnafont stressed that with civilian casualties mounting on both sides, he called for restraint and de-escalation. 

“Civilian lives need to be shielded and there is a need to re-embark on the path of diplomacy,” he said.

He added that “France’s position is clear: Iran cannot and must not develop a nuclear weapon,” warned that such a development would threaten Israel, the region, as well as French and European security interests.

Jérôme Bonnafont, said a nuclear-armed Iran would pose an “egregious violation” of non-proliferation treaty, weaken the global non-proliferation regime and risk triggering a nuclear arms race.

He noted that Iran’s failure to meet its non-proliferation obligations, according to the IAEA, and stressed that the Council’s goal must be for Iran “to resume cooperation with the IAEA to revert back to compliance with international obligations.” 

“France solemnly calls on Iran to finally take the opportunity of a negotiated diplomatic solution,” he said.

He concluded that “Clear and concrete and tangible commitments need to be shouldered now by Iran to demonstrate to the international community that Tehran hopes to engage upon this path and for rapid results to be achieved.”

British envoy to the UN Barbara Woodward called for renewed diplomacy after rising tensions.

Ambassador Barbara Woodward voiced deep concern over the escalating conflict between Iran and Israel, calling it “a dangerous moment for the entire region.”

She reaffirmed the UK’s support for the IAEA and its inspectors and urged all parties to protect civilians and uphold international humanitarian law, while stating that her country did not participate in Israel’s strikes and that it deployed assets, including jets, to the region as a “defensive and precautionary measure only.”

Ms. Wood stressed that “restraint is vital,” she underlined the UK’s clear position: it is not participating in Israeli strikes and has deployed assets only as a defensive measure.

Woodward on Iran’s nuclear programme, emphasized that the country must never acquire a nuclear weapon and that its 60 per cent enriched uranium stockpile has “no credible civilian justification.”

She noted that E3 – the bloc of France, Germany and the United Kingdom and EU officials are engaging Iran’s Foreign Minister in Geneva, called it a “window of opportunity” to return to diplomacy.

Iranian Ambassador to the UN Amir Saeid Iravanitold the Council members that the aggression continues,’ urged the Security Council to act against Israeli strikes.

Ambassador Amir Saeid Iravani condemned what he described as a “large-scale, unprovoked military attack” by Israel launched a week ago.

He said the assault was not accidental, “not collateral damage. They were deliberate war crimes, acts of State terror and an example of barbaric warfare,” he said.

Ambassador Iravani reiterated that Iran’s nuclear programme is peaceful, and said Israel remains the only country in the Middle East with undeclared nuclear weapons. He stated that Iran’s military response to being attacked was carried out in accordance with international law.

He called Israeli strikes on nuclear facilities an “assault” on the global non-proliferation regime, he urged the Security Council to act. 

Iranian Ambassador Amir Saeid Iravani reiterated that failure to do so, he warned, would show that international rules are applied selectively and risk undermining global security.

“The Council’s failure to act would constitute a profound abdication of the Council’s responsibilities,” he said.

Israeli Ambassador to the UN Danny Danon said that Israel’s response to Iran was ‘last resort’ to prevent nuclear threat.

Ambassador Danny Danon directly addressed Iran’s representative, questioned how Iran could demand a Council session and “ask for sympathy for the consequences of your own genocidal agenda.”

He rejected claims that Israel had struck hospitals in Iran.

Ambassador Danon challenged the Iranian delegation to provide specific names and locations.

In contrast, he said, Iran deliberately launched a ballistic missile at Soroka Hospital in Beersheba, the largest medical facility in southern Israel, he said.

“This is the difference between democracy acting in defence of its people and a regime targeting civilians,” he said.

Ambassador Danon also accused Iran of consistently deceiving the IAEA.

“There is no greater threat to international peace and security than a nuclear Iran,” he said.

He added that Israel had acted “as a last resort” and would not “wait for another threat, rocket, missile, terrorist or atomic bomb.”

Iraqi Ambassador Abbas Kadhom Obaid Al-Fatlawi said that Iraq condemned violations of its airspace.

Ambassador Abbas Kadhom Obaid Al-Fatlawi deplored Israeli violations of his country’s sovereignty and airspace.

“Iraq strongly condemns the unjustified Israeli attacks against the Islamic Republic of Iran and the repeated Israeli violations of the sovereignty of states, especially the violations of Iraqi airspace to launch an aggression against neighboring Iran,” he said.

He called the attacks blatant violations of the UN Charter and international law.

Ambassador Abbas Kadhom Obaid Al-Fatlawi added that “we will not allow Iraq to become a battleground for settling regional or international scores.”

Al-Fatlawi warned that a wider regional conflict could threaten international waterways, energy markets, and the global economy.

Ambassador said the military escalation had dealt a “severe blow” to political efforts and brought the region to “the brink of confrontation, at a time when we are all in dire need of promoting dialogue and reason.”

European Union envoy to the UN Ambassador Stavros Lambrinidis SAID THAT Diplomacy must prevail’ and the EU urged negotiated deal as path to long-term peace.

He expressed the European Union’s concern over the escalation in the Israel-Iran conflict.

Ambassador Stavros Lambrinidis urged all parties to abide by international law.

“We reiterate our strong commitment to regional security and call on all sides to abide by international law, show restraint, and refrain from taking further steps which could lead to serious consequences,” he said.

He noted the EU’s concern over the IAEA’s recent report indicated that Iran is not complying with its nuclear obligations. The EU, he said, has always been clear that Iran “must never be allowed to acquire a nuclear weapon.”

Mr. Lambrinidis reminded the Security Council that a lasting solution can only be achieved through a negotiated agreement something EU Member States and the High Representative continue to pursue with all stakeholders.

“Lasting security is built through diplomacy, not military action,” he said.

UN Human rights council in Geneva also held a meeting on the Iran and Israel crisis.

Israeli Ambassador to Geneva Daniel Meron said that Iran has fired hundreds of missiles at Israel, accused Tehran of war crimes.

He told reporters on the sidelines of the Human Rights Council in Geneva that the targets included Soroka Hospital in southern Israel.

According to reports, it received a direct hit on Thursday, the strike destroying a surgical ward and injuring 80 people.

“The Iranian strategy is based on destabilizing the whole region to expand its extremist ideology Imagine what it would do with a nuclear weapon,” he said.

He insisted that Tehran’s “dramatically expanded” arsenal of ballistic missiles was capable of reaching Israel “within minutes”. 

Iranian Foreign Minister Syed Abbas Araghchi also addressed the HRC in Geneva stated that hundreds of people have been killed and injured by the surprise Israeli attacks.

He accused Israel of targeting “Public infrastructure, hospitals, health centres and, of course, the Foreign Ministry,” at the press stakeout, which Israel denied targeting civilians.

 

Comments are closed.