By Anjali Sharma
UNITED NATIONS – UN Security Council met on Friday to discuss the situation in Ukraine, where intensified fighting continues, affecting new areas and prompted further displacement.
UN Assistant Secretary-General Miroslav Jenča said “As we are facing renewed escalation on the ground and crisis elsewhere, it is critical to maintain focused attention on the urgent need for peace in Ukraine.”
UN noted that in past 3 weeks Russia has carried out unrelenting large-scale attacks on cities and towns, resulted in a significant rise in civilian casualties.
A combined drone and missile attack on Kyiv overnight on 16-17 June was one of the deadliest there in a year. At least 28 civilians were killed and more than 130 injured.
Many others are still reported missing under the rubble of the 35 apartments destroyed that night.
The attacks occurred in Odesa, Zaporizhzhia, Chernihiv, Zhytomyr, Kirovohrad, Mykolaiv and Kyiv provinces that same night, with two civilians reportedly killed and scores injured in Odesa.
“These levels of death and destruction risk dimming hope for an immediate ceasefire and threaten to undermine prospects for a lasting peace,” he said.
UN human rights office data reveals that at least 13,438 civilians, including 713 children, have been killed since Russia launched its full-scale invasion of Ukraine in February 2022. Another 33,270 civilians have been injured, including over 2,000 children.
The number of civilian casualties in last 5 months of this year alone totaled 5,144 – nearly 50 per cent higher than in the same period in 2024.
Of this number, 859 were killed and 4,285 injured.
Mr. Jenča said “This dramatic increase is a result of intensified use of long-range weapons, both missiles and loitering munitions, against cities across Ukraine”.
Ukrainian authorities reported that between 1 and 17 June, Russian forces launched at least 3,340 long-range drones, including loitering munitions and decoy drones, and 135 missiles into the country. This compares to 544 long-range munitions launched during the whole of June 2024.
The escalating violence continues to be reported in Russian regions that border Ukraine at a far lower level.
In the Kursk region, a woman died in hospital a day after being injured in a Ukrainian drone attack while a man was killed, and five others injured, in a strike on a recreational centre.
N was not able to verify these reports.
“Let me once again unequivocally state attacks against civilians and civilian infrastructure are strictly prohibited under international humanitarian law, wherever they occur,” said Mr. Jenča, reiterated the UN’s condemnation.
He added that “important diplomatic developments have taken place on the challenging path towards a lasting peace in Ukraine.”
Ukrainian and Russian delegations held their second face-to-face meeting in Istanbul on 2 June.
They exchanged written memoranda outlining their respective visions for a ceasefire and parameters for a future peace settlement.
Both sides reached agreement for the large-scale exchange of prisoners of war, mortal remains and civilian detainees.
Prisoner swaps have been carried out with the latest round taking place earlier on Friday.
The mortal remains of 6,057 Ukrainian and 78 Russian servicepersons also have been returned as of 16 June.
Mr. Jenča said “We welcome the continuation of all meaningful diplomatic efforts, including the recent talks in Istanbul. We urge the sides to make tangible progress towards a ceasefire and a lasting settlement through continued talks”.
He called for redoubling efforts “to ensure that the fragile diplomatic process is not only sustained but becomes irreversible.”
Edem Wosornu, Director of Operations at the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs said that civilians continue to bear the severe consequences of the war.
She said “As the war continues, millions of lives are impacted every day. Essential services are disrupted, and vulnerabilities are deepening for nearly 13 million people in need of assistance,”.
Over 3.7 million people are displaced inside Ukraine, including 60,000 newly displaced from frontline regions since January alone.
Some 6 million citizens are now refugees, mainly in Europe.
She said that after intensifying hostilities, the Government continues to order the mandatory evacuation of families with children from front-line villages.
For some people in these locations “attacks are so frequent that evacuations themselves become a risky prospect.”
Ms. Wosornu noted that humanitarians also face growing threats. This year, two aid workers have been killed and 24 injured while delivering assistance, and some 68 incidents of violence impacting relief personnel, assets and facilities have been recorded.
She said that “despite an operating environment beset by multiple risks and challenges,” humanitarians remain committed and engaged, and their operations continue.
Between January and May, they reached some 3.4 million people with life-saving aid, including food, water, medicines, health services and livelihood support.
Humanitarians are seeking $2.6 billion for Ukraine this year, and $816 million, has been secured, she said.
She stressed the importance of “timely financial support”.
Ms. Wosornu renewed calls for the Council to take urgent, collective action in three areas, including protecting civilians and ensuring sustained financial support as “declining funding trends” threaten aid efforts.
She appealed to “end this war, and until then, ensure that humanitarian concerns are a central part of discussions on a pause in fighting or longer-term agreement.”
Comments are closed.