UNIFIL maritime vessel hit by drone as cross-border fire intensifies

By Anjali Sharma

UNITED NATIONS – UN Interim Force in Lebanon on Thursday reported that one of its Maritime Task Force vessels off the southern Lebanese coast intercepted an approaching drone.

UN deputy spokesperson Farhan Haq in New York said that standard protocol, electronic countermeasures were used to bring down the so far unidentified un crewed aerial vehicle

UNIFIL has launched an investigation into the incident.

The downing of the drone follows other concerning security developments in recent days that have left at least five UN peacekeepers injured and damaged peacekeeping positions and premises.

It said 15 peacekeepers suffered “smoke affects” including skin and gastrointestinal issues after the Israel Defense Forces fired several rounds near their base.

The Mission’s Maritime Task Force has been deployed since October 2006.

It supports the Lebanese Navy in monitoring its territorial waters, securing the Lebanese coastline and preventing the unauthorized entry of arms or related materiel by sea into Lebanon.

The Task Force comprises five ships and one helicopter, contributed by different nations.

UNIFIL reported the highest number of violations of Lebanese airspace by the IDF in a 24-hour period since 8 October 2023, with 60 violations.

“Strikes were reported in areas across Lebanon, including the Beqaa valley, Sidon and Nabatiyeh. Strikes by Hezbollah into northern Israel also continued, including towards Haifa,” Mr. Haq said.

Over past 24 hours, peacekeepers continued to observe exchanges of fire across the “Blue Line” of separation between Israel and Lebanon.

Impacts were reported in the areas of Ayta ash Sha’b, Mays al-Jabal, Markaba, Ett Taibe and Raabatt Talateen and military activity by the IDF within the UNIFIL area of operations.

Mr. Haq added “Some of this activity continued to take place close to UN positions and compromise the safety and security of peacekeepers”.

Mr. Guterres issued a statement on Thursday expressed his solidarity with UNIFIL personnel, stated that he was full of admiration and gratitude for their commitment to the mission.

“I am so proud of you – and I know your countries are proud of you, too,” he said.

“You should know that here in New York, we are all very aware of your bravery during some of the most challenging moments in the history of UNIFIL.”

Mr. Guterres reiterated that the safety and security of UN personnel remains the highest priority.

He stressed that attacks against UN peacekeepers are “completely unacceptable”, marking a breach of international law which may constitute a war crime.

“Despite all the challenges, UNIFIL remains in its positions. Every day you keep the blue flag flying – and ensure the primacy of international law,” Mr. Guterres declared.

He concluded “You are not just on the Blue Line in Lebanon, you are literally on the front line of peace.”

Comments are closed.