By Anjali Sharma
UNITED NATIONS – UNICEF on Monday has said that children are reported among dead over 1,000 people killed in fierce fighting over the weekend in Syria’s coastal northwest.
According to Edouard Beigbeder, UNICEF’s Regional Director for the Middle East, a six-month-old baby was among at least 13 children reported to have been killed.
Media reports said that clashes began on Friday between Syrian Caretaker Authority forces and soldiers loyal to the former Assad regime.
According to widely reported eyewitness accounts much of the killing occurred in Alawite neighborhoods in the coastal provinces of Latakia and Tartus, the traditional stronghold of support for the former regime.
The Assad family belongs to the sect which is an offshoot of Shia Islam constituting around ten per cent of Syria’s population.
The authorities announced on Monday that the operation had ended, after reports of civilian casualties, looting, mass displacement and infrastructure damage, including to power lines and at least six hospitals and several ambulances.
“The escalation reportedly caused additional civilian casualties and injuries, the displacement of thousands of families, and damage to critical infrastructure,” Mr. Beigbeder said in a statement late on Sunday.
He called on all parties to prioritize reconciliation and commit to a peaceful political transition, ensuring that Syria’s children can survive, thrive, and reach their full potential.
“The children of Syria have suffered enough. They have the right to live in peace and hope for a better future,” he stressed.
Volker Türk, UN High Commissioner for Human Rights also voiced deep concern over the latest violence.
“These events, as well as the continuous spike in hate speech both online and offline, illustrate once again the urgent need for a comprehensive transitional justice process that is nationally owned, inclusive, and centred on truth, justice and accountability,” he said in a statement on Sunday.
UN humanitarian chief Tom Fletcher said that UN aid teams are working urgently to reach civilians affected by the recent fighting.
He warned that the clashes have left even more Syrians displaced, without access to basic aid and in danger.
UN Spokesperson Stéphane Dujarric in New York highlighted the devastating impact of the violence on civilians.
“As of yesterday, hundreds of people, including women and children, and medical personnel had been reportedly killed, thousands have ben reportedly been displaced, and many have fled into Lebanon seeking safety,” he told reporters.
He reported extensive damage to critical infrastructure, as well as a blockade on the main highway, limiting humanitarian access.
UN relief coordination office estimates that 16.5 million people across Syria require humanitarian assistance.
Comments are closed.