UNHCR reports ‘raw violence, ruthless conflict’ displaced thousands in Sudan

Anjali Sharma

GG News Bureau

UNITED NATIONS, 8th Dec. UN refugee agency has reported on Wednesday that ‘Raw violence’ and ‘ruthless conflict’,across South Sudan’s Greater Upper Nile Region displaced thousands as “desperation is rising” as escalating armed conflict  has displaced over 20,000 people since August, have forced some to run for their lives multiple times.

Arafat Jamal, UNHCR’s Representative in South Sudan said in a press release that “And more people are fleeing as conflict intensifies”.

Over 3,000 people have fled to neighbouring Sudan escalating South Sudan’s refugee crisis, which is the largest in Africa.

He stressed that “Civilians are under attack in this ruthless conflict; we must ensure their protection”.

UNHCR noted that fighting began in the Upper Nile village of Tonga on 15 August. Violence has spread to northern parts of Jonglei and Unity states.

The conflict is spreading through Upper Nile’s Fashoda county, threatening the town of Kodok, UN agency stated.

Women, children, and elders at high risk, make up the majority of the displaced.

Some unable to flee, including older people, have been hiding in bushes during attacks, and along the White Nile River, UNHCR said.

The civilians are traumatized and report killings, injuries, gender-based violence, abductions, extortion, looting and the burning of property, the agency reported.

UNHCR said that many have lost their homes and been separated from their families.

Mr. Jamal led an inter-agency visit to the Adidiang island site, located about 40 kilometres south of the state capital, Malakal.

Under the protection of the UN Mission in South Sudan the site was originally set up 10 years ago to host up to 12,000 internally displaced.

He said that today, it accommodates some 37,000 souls overcrowded.

The camp has 4,000 civilians sliving there were forced to flee to Malakal.

UNHCR led interagency mission to Diel in Jonglei as survivors of the Adidiang attack reported that dozens were killed or wounded.

“In both Adidiang and Diel, we witnessed the aftermath of raw violence”, said Mr. Jamal.

Mr. Jamal stated “It was heartbreaking to see a clear pattern of attacks on civilians and their homes”.

In Diel, northern Jonglei, some of the displaced are returning to their burnt-out villages and homes. Some have been forced to eat wild water plants to survive.

South Sudan has hit hard between armed groups and military forces since a so-called Revitalized Peace Agreement brokered by regional bloc IGAD, between the President and his main rival, was inked in 2018. Implementation has been slow.

UNHCR with UN and NGO partners has scaled up its response to provide life-saving support to the most vulnerable with shelter, relief items, protection services, cash, and other assistance.

UNHCR can reach people faster and more easily, including those in remote and hard-to-reach areas now acquired river boats to improve mobility.

The situation continues to deteriorate despite UNHCR’s support in de-escalating tensions and promoting peace.

Armed conflict, localized violence, dramatic flooding, worsening food insecurity and economic destabilization, have left 6.8 million in need of urgent life-saving aid, UNHCR said.

The agency said that needs are surging and UNHCR is scaling up its response after a severe funding shortfall.

It said by the end of November, 46 per cent of the $214.8 million needed this year had been received.

Coordinator ad interim, Peter Van der Auweraert, noted that the humanitarian community in South Sudan is “appalled by the continuous violence that has a devastating impact on the lives and livelihoods of ordinary women, men and children”.

The clashes that broke out in mid-November have resulted in civilian deaths and injuries, the abduction of women and children, destruction of properties and livelihoods, as well as reported incidences of gender-based violence.

Over 2,300 people have arrived in the Malakal Protection of Civilians site putting additional pressure on its limited capacity.

Local responders pointed out that 75 per cent of the estimated 5,000 people displaced to Melut County from Manyo County are women and children, many of whom were separated from their caregivers.

Mr. Van der Auweraert said that “Humanitarian partners are working tirelessly, around the clock, on multiple frontlines to provide the newly displaced people with critical supplies and services,”

“Hostilities must cease immediately to reduce human suffering and prevent further loss of innocent lives,” he concluded.

Comments are closed.