GG News Bureau
UNITED NATIONS, 8th Oct. UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Saturday condemned in the strongest terms the attack by Hamas against Israeli towns near the Gaza Strip and central Israel, including the firing of thousands of rockets toward Israeli population centers, in a statement issued by his spokesman Stephane Dujarric in New York.
The statement noted that the attacks have so far claimed numerous Israeli civilian lives and injured many hundreds.
Mr. Guterres is appalled by reports that civilians have been attacked and abducted from their own homes, the statement stated.
He is deeply concerned for the civilian population and urges maximum restraint. Civilians must be respected and protected in accordance with international humanitarian law at all times, the statement read.
Mr. Guterres extends his deepest condolences to the families of the victims and calls for the immediate release of all abducted persons, the statement said.
He urged all diplomatic efforts to avoid a wider conflagration, the statement said.
Secretary General stressed that violence cannot provide a solution to the conflict, and that only through negotiation leading to a two-state solution can peace be achieved, the statement concluded.
UN Special Coordinator for the Middle East Peace Process Tor Wennesland on Saturday strongly condemned deadly terrorist attacks in Israel in a statement issued in New York.
UN officials said that they are “in close contact with all concerned to urge maximum restraint” after “horrific scenes of violence” that have left dozens dead and hundreds wounded in Israeli cities near the Gaza Strip amid rocket attacks by Hamas armed Palestinian militants early Saturday morning, the statement said.
Tor Wennesland said “I vehemently condemn this morning’s multi-front assault against Israeli towns and cities near the Gaza Strip and barrage of rockets reaching across central Israel by Hamas militants.”
He said “These events have resulted in horrific scenes of violence and many Israeli fatalities and injuries, with many believed to be kidnapped inside the Strip,”.
“These are heinous attacks targeting civilians and must stop immediately.”
Tor Wennesland said he is deeply concerned for the well-being of all civilians,.
He stressed that he is “in close contact with all concerned to urge maximum restraint”.
“This is a dangerous precipice and I appeal to all to pull back from the brink,” he said, calling on all sides to protect civilians.
He added ‘possibly thousands of indiscriminate rockets.’
UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Volker Türk echoed that concern.
Turk said “Civilians must never be the target of attack,” he said, pointing to reports that Israelis have been taken hostage.
“I am shocked and appalled at reports this morning that hundreds, possibly thousands, of indiscriminate rockets have been fired by Palestinian armed groups towards Israel, and that at least 22 Israelis have been killed and hundreds injured.”
He noted that Israeli forces have responded with air strikes into the densely populated Gaza Strip, he called on them to “take all precautions to avoid civilian casualties there”.
“I call for an immediate stop to the violence, and appeal to all sides and key countries in the region to de-escalate to avoid further bloodshed,” he added.