UN mission offers to protect ‘vulnerable populations’, cites huge challenges in DRC

By Anjali Sharma

UNITED NATIONS – UN Deputy Special Representative for Protection and Operations in the Democratic Republic of Congo Vivian van de Perre said on Wednesday that Rwanda-backed M23 rebels to consolidate their hold over North Kivu in the Democratic Republic of the Congo despite declaring a ceasefire 2 days earlier and pledged not to continue south.

Vivian van de Perre, briefed from the ground in Goma, told reporters in New York that “the situation is still highly volatile, with persistent risks of escalation”, emphasized that military action alone will not resolve the conflict.

He noted that the hostilities are occurring in a mineral-rich region that has been unstable for decades amid a proliferation of armed groups, which has forced thousands to flee their homes over the years and seek safety in displacement camps.

Vivian van de Perre, noted that fighting escalated sharply in late January, as the largely-Tutsi M23 fighters seized control of parts of North Kivu, including areas near Goma, and advanced towards South Kivu and the eastern DRC’s second city of Bukavu.

She warned that the peacekeeping mission was operating in an increasingly challenging environment.

The mission’s key infrastructures in Goma are overwhelmed, with both UN personnel and Congolese seeking shelter within our premises,” said Ms. Van de Perre.

Pressure on space is growing some 2,000 people are on site and on “critical resources” like water, food and sanitation, she said.

MONUSCO has confirmed that Goma airport to be under M23 control after their takeover last week and has suffered significant damage, including to the control tower.

UN personnel have been denied access to the site, which is a crucial entry point for humanitarian aid, limiting their ability to assess the full extent of the destruction.

She said the mission was “gravely concerned” over Kavumu airport and the potential it could be taken by rebel forces.

Vivian van de Perre stressed that losing both airports “in the midst of an ongoing humanitarian and IDP crisis will be untenable” for the population of the region.

Some water and electricity services have been partially restored in the city of Goma, much more is needed to ensure that people have access to adequate services.

WHO warned of potential disease outbreaks as bodies continue to be recovered across the city.

Over 2,000 bodies have been buried, while 900 remain in morgues fuelling fears of a potential epidemic.

UN is advocating for dialogue, peace efforts remain stalled.

The Luanda and Nairobi processes the two main diplomatic initiatives aimed at resolving the conflict  have yet to yield tangible results.

African Union summit scheduled for later this month is seen as a crucial opportunity to reinvigorate regional engagement.

Ms. van de Perre also confirmed the presence of Rwandan forces in eastern DR Congo, despite denials from Kigali.

She said that UN has restricted movement, limit verification capabilities, but multiple reports have cited Rwandan military involvement alongside M23.

MONUSCO has ceased joint operations with Congolese armed forces and withdrawn from South Kivu, following Security Council mandates after mounting insecurity,.

The mission awaits instructions, with discussions on the next steps expected in the coming days.

Ms. van de Perre explained that the mission needs “clear guidance” from the Security Council, as the fluid situation is “changing literally every hour”.

US government’s decision to halt USAID funds for certain humanitarian programs will cripple UN relief efforts in addition to escalating violence.

The International Organization for Migration and other key UN agencies are affected by stop-work orders, compounding the crisis.

The reports indicated that M23 has instructed NGOs to halt operations in areas under its control, further limiting humanitarian access.

UN spokesman Stephane Dujarric said “We reiterate our call for the urgent reopening of Goma airport, as we need to evacuate wounded people and bring in humanitarian supplies and staff in”.

MONUSCO continues its efforts to protect civilians, de-escalate hostilities, and facilitate humanitarian access.

Ms. van de Perre underscored the urgent need for a political solution.

The people of the DRC deserve peace, security and stability,” she said.

She called on all parties to “put an end to hostilities, prioritize dialogue and work towards a peaceful resolution.”

Comments are closed.