UN launched $1.6B relief plan for Somalia

Anjali Sharma
GG News Bureau
UNITED NATIONS, 31st Jan. UN and partners on Tuesday has launched the 2024 Humanitarian Response Plan for Somalia called for $1.6 billion to assist 5.2 million people across the country.

UN said Somalia was hit by devastating drought, unprecedented heavy rains and flooding and mass displacement.

Millions of people suffer from hunger and malnutrition, UN stated.

The plan launched with federal and state governments, as 4 million people a quarter of the population remain acutely food insecure in Somalia.

UN reported 2 in 5 children Under 5 suffer from acute malnutrition.

Some 3.8 million people are internally displaced, and a cholera outbreak is spreading in several areas.

UN Resident and Humanitarian Coordinator for Somalia George Conway said that “In addition to climatic shocks, conflict and insecurity, widespread poverty and disease outbreaks will continue to drive humanitarian needs this year”.

He said it would enhance “collective outcomes that will help reduce needs, risks and vulnerabilities, increase resilience and ensure that future shocks do not lead to catastrophe.”

Mohamud Moalim, Commissioner for the Somalia Disaster Management Agency that “More than 80 per cent of the displaced are women and children and face serious protection risks” .

“The Somali Government is concerned about the humanitarian situation that is worsened by climate-induced crises. We are determined to address the underlying causes of Somalia’s crises, improve livelihoods and build long-term durable solutions.”

UN office in Somalia said that humanitarian partners will be implementing a more targeted response with a focus on assisting those in most severe need.

It stressed that the funding requirements represent a 37 per cent reduction than last year.

Comments are closed.