UN human rights body reports Russian forces ‘used drones to pursue and bomb victims’

By Anjali Sharma

UNITED NATIONS – UN Human Rights Council in Geneva on Monday was briefed on the ongoing and devastating impact of the full-scale Russian invasion of Ukraine.

The independent investigators from the Commission of Inquiry on Ukraine in an update expressed deep concern at the growing number of civilian casualties from Russian attacks.

Erik Møse, chair of the panel, said that “relentless attacks with long-range weapons have intensified” throughout Ukraine.

He noted that attacks against civilians have also increased, using short-range drones in frontline areas.

“Russian armed forces have been carrying out attacks from positions on the left bank of the Dnipro River with drones that allow real time observation and tracking of targets, he said.

Erik Møse, added “They pursued victims with drones and dropped explosives on them, causing deaths and injuries. Drones have also struck ambulances and other emergency services, preventing them from reaching the victims.”

He said that the investigation had been unable to verify Russian allegations of drone attacks by Ukrainian armed forces, citing a lack of access to the affected territory and a lack of engagement by Russia.

Comments are closed.