UK PM Keir Starmer Rules Out Visa Deal with India
Starmer says his India visit aims to strengthen business ties under the new trade pact, not discuss visa access.
GG News Bureau
New Delhi, 8th Oct: Britain will not pursue a visa deal with India, UK Prime Minister Keir Starmer said ahead of his two-day visit to the country, reaffirming that his focus remains on deepening economic engagement under the newly signed trade agreement.
Starmer, who begins his trip on Wednesday, is leading a trade delegation of business leaders to boost commercial opportunities under the India-UK Free Trade Agreement, which was agreed in May, signed in July, and is set to come into effect next year.
Speaking to reporters en route to India, Starmer said previous trade negotiations had been hindered by visa-related issues, which were deliberately left out of the final deal. “That isn’t part of the plans,” he said, clarifying that the discussions with Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Thursday would centre on implementing and maximising the benefits of the agreement.
“Businesses are taking advantage of the trade deal. But the issue is not about visas,” he added.
Starmer’s remarks come amid growing domestic scrutiny over immigration policies in the UK. His Labour government has taken a firmer stance on migration, seeking to reassure the British public as the Reform UK party gains traction on the issue.
The Prime Minister also ruled out linking the deal to visa concessions for Indian tech professionals, despite the US raising H-1B visa fees, but said Britain remained open to “top talent” in key sectors.
When asked whether his government would stop issuing visas to countries refusing to repatriate foreign offenders or deportees, Starmer noted that this was not an issue with India, citing an existing returns agreement. “We are looking at whether there should be a link between visas and returns agreements,” he said.
Comments are closed.