Trump Announces Ceasefire Between Israel and Iran AFter 12-Day War

GG News Bureau
Washington, 24th June: In a dramatic turn of events that could mark the end of a high-stakes 12-day conflict, US President Donald Trump on Monday announced a ceasefire between Israel and Iran, brokered by Washington after days of intensive diplomacy. The move follows a series of devastating airstrikes that saw Iran’s capital, Tehran, under siege and millions fleeing the city.

The announcement came via a post on Trump’s Truth Social platform, where he hailed both nations for the “stamina, courage, and intelligence” to end what he called “THE 12 DAY WAR.” The former US president, running for re-election, played a central role in facilitating the ceasefire deal in a call with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.

The conflict had escalated rapidly over the past week, with Israel launching strikes against Iranian nuclear facilities, alleging Tehran was nearing weapons capability. The US joined the offensive over the weekend, deploying bunker-buster bombs on Iranian underground sites.

While there was no immediate reaction from Israel, Iran’s Foreign Minister Abbas Araqchi confirmed Tehran had agreed to halt military operations—conditional on Israel ceasing hostilities by 4 a.m. local time. Araqchi later announced that Iranian retaliation continued “until the very last minute,” and praised the country’s armed forces for defending the nation. Since then, no further Israeli attacks have been reported.

“The final decision on cessation of our military operations will be made later,” Araqchi posted on X, formerly Twitter.

Behind-the-scenes negotiations involved top US officials including Vice President JD Vance, Secretary of State Marco Rubio, and Special Envoy Steve Witkoff. Qatar’s Prime Minister Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdulrahman Al Thani was also reportedly instrumental in securing Iranian agreement.

As tensions de-escalated, global markets responded positively. S&P 500 futures climbed 0.4%, while oil prices dropped to their lowest level in over a week amid hopes of reduced supply disruptions in the Middle East.

However, signs of volatility remain. On Tuesday, Israel issued multiple evacuation warnings for parts of Tehran and sounded alarms in the Golan Heights over fears of hostile aircraft activity.

Despite the ceasefire, strategic ambiguities persist. Iran maintains it never pursued nuclear weapons, but Supreme Leader Ayatollah Khamenei has defiantly declared that world powers would be unable to stop it if it chose to do so. Israel, widely believed to possess nuclear arms, remains outside the Non-Proliferation Treaty framework.

The US, for its part, insists the strikes were aimed only at dismantling Iran’s nuclear infrastructure. “Iran was very close to having a nuclear weapon… now they are incapable of building one,” said Vice President Vance on Fox News.

The strikes, however, extended beyond military infrastructure. Israeli warplanes targeted Tehran’s Evin Prison and other sensitive sites, signalling a broader campaign aimed at weakening the regime’s grip on power.

While Trump has said he would encourage Israel to move toward peace, the extent to which this ceasefire will hold remains uncertain. The conflict has left lasting scars, not just in geopolitical terms but in the displacement of millions and the lingering spectre of renewed hostilities.

Comments are closed.