Top official calls for action to avert all-out war in Middle East

By Anjali Sharma

 UNITED NATIONS – Algeria, China, and Russia and Iran on Monday requested the meeting on the situation in the Middle East to address Israel’s 26 October attacks.

UN Assistant Secretary-General for the Middle East, Asia and the Pacific Mohamed Khaled Khiari briefed the members of the Secutrity Council.

Khaled Khiari said the latest attacks risk plunged the region into what he called the “unknown” at the time when the de-escalation on all fronts is needed, adding that “both sides must stop testing the limits of each other’s restraint and act in the interest of peace and stability for the region.”

He described the “unbearable conditions of Palestinian civilians trapped in north Gaza”.

“The levels of death, injury and destruction in the north are harrowing,” he said.

“Civilians are stuck under rubble. The sick and wounded are going without lifesaving health care. Families lack food and shelter amid reports of them being separated and many people detained.”

Algerian Ambassador to the UN Amar Benjama said that “The international community has a duty to curb the Israeli occupation and stop its continued escalation, which has brought the Middle East into an endless cycle of instability”.

He said lasting peace requires that Palestinians enjoy their legitimate rights and that all Israeli occupation of Arab territories is put to an end.

Benjama said the Council must uphold its responsibility.

He called on all members to impose an immediate ceasefire in Gaza and Lebanon as well as work towards the establishment of a Palestinian State.

US Ambassador to the UN Linda Thomas-Greenfield recalled the missile attack launched by Iran against Israel earlier this month that targeted populated areas.

She noted that the US issued new sanctions against the Iranian oil sector, noted also actions by other nations and the European Union.

Ms. Linda Greenfield described Israel’s targeting of sites in Iran this weekend as a proportional and direct military response in self-defence.

She emphasized there were no reports of civilian harm.

“Specifically, Israel conducted precision air strikes against multiple, military targets across Iran and outside populated areas,” she said.

She added that the US did not participate in Israel’s military action, rather it encouraged the Israeli Government to shape the operation as it did, which was “a targeted, proportional and direct response to degrade Iran’s ability to threaten its neighbour, deter further attacks and reduce the risk of further escalation”.

Russian Ambassador to the UN Vassily Nebenzia warned of an “uncontrolled spiral” of violence in the Middle East, following Israeli strikes on Iran.

“The region is already destabilised because of escalating violence surrounding the Gaza Strip for over a year,” he said.

This was “not Israel’s first airstrike”, he stressed.

He urged Council members to “do their utmost to ensure the region does not tumble into a war”.

“There is no alternative to a ceasefire,” he stated.

He called on the United States to “be responsible and use all available tools to implement existing resolution son regional settlement”.

Iranian Ambassador to the UN Amir Saeid Iravani described Monday’s emergency meeting as “both timely and necessary” in face of the “egregious and severe violation of international law and the UN Charter” by Israel.

He condemned Israel’s missile launch in the early hours of Saturday, highlighted its implications for regional stability and expressed that Iran reserves the right to respond to any aggression.

Iravani stated that this aggression is not an isolated incident but part of a broader pattern of impunity that has been enabled by the United States’ “unconditional support” which has “emboldened Israel to persist in these crimes.”

He qualified the situation in Lebanon and Gaza as “ethnic cleansing and war crimes” and urged the Security Council to take decisive measures to restore peace and authority in the region.

“Responsibility requires more than words and recommendations,” he said.

He stressed that the international community must not remain silent in the face of these violations.

Israeli envoy to the UN Danny Danon told ambassadors that Israel “acted as any nation would, to defend its citizens, secure its borders and neutralize any immediate threat,” in its operation on Friday night.

“The Israeli airforce directed precise strikes on Iranian military assets deep within Iran’s territory. We struck missile manufacturing facilities, responsible for creating the very weapons that were launched against our civilians,” Mr. Danon said.

He stressed that every “aspect of the mission was crafted to remove the immediate threat while minimizing any harm to civilians.”

“Israel remains resolute. We will continue to defend our people with precision, strength and an unbreakable commitment to the safety of our citizens” he said.

He called on the Council to take “immediate actions” to designate and isolate Iran”, saying that the “world cannot ignore Iran’s threat.”

Syrian Ambassador to the UN Iravani said Israeli aggression against Iran is “a flagrant violation of international law, the UN Charter and the sovereignty and territorial integrity of Iran.”

He strongly condemned those act, Syria supports Tehran’s legitimate right to self-defence and the protection of its citizens.

Israel’s actions are widespread, free from any restrictions and controls as they continue to threaten regional and international peace and security, he said.

He deplored Western countries for providing financial support and lethal weapons that have led to the killing of thousands of civilians and destroyed critical infrastructure.

Iravani renewed its call on the Security Council to take immediate action to respond and put an end to the occupier’s acts of aggression.

He underlined the need to hold war criminals accountable and to implement all related Council resolutions to ensure an end to the occupation.

Ambassadors backed the work of the UN Palestine refugee agency, UNRWA in Gaza and other occupied territories.

They voiced their support for the Shared Commitments initiative.

UNRWA has long faced misinformation and disinformation, including about its staff and operations. This has intensified since the war in Gaza began on 7 October.

UNRWA’s positions based on objective, ascertainable facts, data, and firsthand information on some of the most frequent claims and allegations made against the UN agency in the media and social media by various individuals, organizations and public and private entities.

UNRWA is not aware of and has received no specific allegations regarding any systemic diversion of aid in Gaza by Hamas or other armed groups.

The agency has strongly condemned any diversion of humanitarian supplies and immediately inform its donors to determine appropriate next steps. UNRWA’s distribution of aid is implemented through a robust system of oversight and checks.

Comments are closed.