The HC has handed over the case to the CBI, while the TMC claims that the government’s investigation is impartial.

200 bombs have been discovered, and a forensic team has arrived in Rampurhat.  

PAROMITA DAS

Opposition parties applauded the high court’s order for a CBI investigation into the violence that killed eight people in Bengal’s Birbhum district earlier this week, alleging that the state police were attempting to cover up the incident at the request of the TMC government.

The ruling TMC, in a cautious response, stated that all cooperation would be extended to the CBI.

The Calcutta High Court ordered a CBI investigation into the Birbhum violence on Friday, saying the decision was made in the interest of justice.

The court ordered the Bengal government’s Special Investigation Team (SIT) to turn over all investigation-related documents and the accused persons arrested by it to the central agency.

“We applaud the court’s decision. Only a CBI investigation can reveal the truth, as the police, acting as agents of the ruling party, were attempting to suppress the matter,” said state BJP chief SukantaMajumdar. CPI(M) leader SujanChakraborty echoed him, saying his party hoped the CBI would conduct a fair investigation.

A petition has been filed in the Supreme Court asking for a CBI investigation into the deaths of eight people in a fire in West Bengal’s Birbhum district.

The Hindu Sena’s national president, Vishnu Gupta, filed the petition, alleging that local authorities are attempting to shield the true perpetrators of the heinous incident under the influence of the state’s ruling Trinamool Congress (TMC).

“The West Bengal police administration has miserably failed in its duty and responsibility to protect the life and property of the people of Bogtui, district Birbhum, West Bengal.” The heinous crime of murder, arson, and looting that occurred on March 21, 2022, resulted in the deaths of more than eight village residents, including women and children.

“Furthermore, the exodus of people from that village to other safe places demonstrates fear and insecurity, as well as a lack of faith in the police administration.” As a result, this court’s intervention is required to protect the fundamental rights of the people in Birbhum district,” the petition stated.

It has requested that the investigating agency take over all FIRs filed by local police in connection with the incident.

Police arrested local Trinamool Congress boss AnarulHossain from near a hotel in Tarapith on Thursday, hours after West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee took a tough stance and ordered the hunt for all suspected of involvement in the Birbhum carnage, including her party colleagues. Earlier in the day, during a visit to Bogtui village, the site of Tuesday’s fire bombing and burning of eight people, Banerjee vowed that the police would ensure the harshest punishment for those responsible, and that no one would be spared.

She also hinted at a larger clean-up of her administration by ordering a dragnet to unearth hidden caches of illegal arms and bombs across the state. “Police will ensure that the most severe punishment is meted out to those responsible for the Rampurhat carnage.” “The case that is filed with the court should be watertight,” she said.

The orders are in response to the assassination of TMC panchayat leader Bhadu Sheikh at a crossroads near the village of Bogtui, on the outskirts of Rampurhat town in Bengal’s Birbhum district. In an apparent retaliation attack, petrol bombs were thrown at ten houses in the village, killing eight people, including women and children, by burning within hours. Locals believe the attacks and counterattacks are the result of rivalry over illegal sand mining, though the police are still investigating the cause and sequence of events.

The chief minister met with victims’ families and offered them permanent government jobs as well as compensation to rebuild their homes.

She also went to Sheikh’s house and made the same offers to his next of kin. Banerjee announced compensation of Rs 5 lakh for each victim’s next of kin, as well as Rs 2 lakh for rebuilding the damaged houses. Those who have been injured will receive Rs 50,000 each. Following Banerjee’s directive, security was also increased in Bogtui village on Thursday evening. Over 50 police officers have been stationed in Bogtui village, and CCTV cameras have been installed to increase security for the villagers who have complained about living in ear, according to a senior officer of the district police.

 

Comments are closed.