Anjali Sharma
GG News Bureau
UNITED NATIONS, 4thJuly.UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Volker Türk on Wednesday stressed for free and open debate in Venezuela as the country prepares to hold Presidential elections later this month and local, regional and legislative polls next year.
Mr. Türk reported increasing restrictions on civic spaces and urged stakeholders to reverse course.
“My Office continues to receive reports of detentions as the Election Day approaches, including of supporters and members of the opposition,” he said.
“This does not augur well, and I urge a change to such practices,” he said
Venezuelan Presidential elections are scheduled for 28 July, while local, regional and legislative polls are planned for 2025, according to the OHCHR .
Mr. Türk emphasized that these are “key opportunities to respect the people’s will.”
“Now, more than ever, a constructive and open dialogue among the people and with the institutions of the State is crucial to overcome the deep divisions and rebuild the social contract among Venezuelans,” he said.
He expressed concerns over economic conditions.
Turk said that despite official figures indicating a 5 per cent growth in gross domestic product last year, Venezuelans “still face serious obstacles” accessing food, health and education.
He reirteared that women, people in rural areas and indigenous peoples are disproportionately affected.
Turk cited reports indicating that almost three quarters of the country’s health centres lacked medical or nursing staff between July and August last year, while abortion continues to be criminalized, leading to unsafe procedures and resulting in maternal mortality and morbidity.
“I urge the authorities to take steps to address all of these concerns on health, education, food, and dignified remuneration in line with the State’s international obligations,” he said.
He called for lifting of sectoral sanctions that have exacerbated pre-existing human rights challenges.
Türk voiced concern over cases of femicide, noting that between January and November last year, 186 such cases were reported.
“Investigation into these killings is essential, as are much stronger prevention and response efforts. A protocol developed by the Office of the Attorney General is a first step but much more is needed,” he added.
Comments are closed.