Anjali Sharma
GG News Bureau
UNITED NATIONS, 1st Nov. According to a new report by the UN human rights office released on Tuesday a missile which hit a café in the village of Hroza in eastern Ukraine killed 59 people earlier this month was launched with no indication of any legitimate military targets at the site.
The report published based on site inspections and witness interviews says that “there are reasonable grounds to believe that the missile was launched by Russian armed forces”.
It details the devastating impact of what has been one of the deadliest single incidents for Ukrainian civilians since Russia’s full-scale invasion in February 2022.
OHCHR quoted a resident recounting how her daughter’s friend “could only be identified by her manicure when rescue workers discovered her hand” and stressed that for many others, identification relied on DNA tests of bodily remains.
The report said that the Russian military “either failed to do everything feasible to verify that the target was a military objective, or deliberately targeted civilians or civilian objects”.
“Either scenario would be in violation of international humanitarian law,” OHCHR insisted.
Comments are closed.