OCHA warns north Gaza under siege

By Anjali Sharma

UNITED NATIONS – UN aid coordination office on Tuesday reported the attacks on displacement shelters in Gaza which have been ongoing since 9 January.

UN Spokesperson Stéphane Dujarric in a daily briefing in New York, told jreporters that there have been significant casualties reported in Jabalia al Balad and Khan Younis.

Israeli authorities continue to deny UN-led efforts to reach people with vital assistance, he told.

Israeli siege of north Gaza continues, while two attempts by UN teams on Tuesday to reach the Al Awda and Indonesian hospitals to evacuate patients and deliver critical supplies were denied.

Mr. Dujarric stressed that as critical shortages soar, access to Al Awda, the only hospital still partially functioning in the north, has been extremely limited.

Indonesian Hospital remains out of service. Essential equipment has been destroyed, and the facility lacks necessities and adequate staff.

Mr. Dujarric noted that the last time UN partners were able to reach the hospital was in December.

WFP supported 5 bakeries are operational after one reopened last week.

Due to a lack of fuel, they are functioning at half capacity.

UN partners have been distributing flour to some households, but they report that access constraints and supply shortages could jeopardise future deliveries.

WHO reached Al-Shifa Hospital earlier this week in Gaza City and delivered 9,700 litres of fuel, as well as blood and plasma units for distribution.

They transferred three patients and eight companions for onward medical evacuation outside Gaza.

UNICEF and the Palestinian Water Authority distributed more than 8,000 hygiene kits to some 50,000 people.

UN spokesman Mr. Dujarric said.that the UN and partners are doing everything possible to reach Palestinians in need with extremely limited resources

Comments are closed.