OCHA reports conflict in DR Congo killed thousands, displaced millions

By Anjali Sharma

UNITED NATIONS – UN aid coordinators OCHA on Tuesday warned that the ongoing fighting in the eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo between Rwanda-backed M23 rebels and Congolese troops has claimed more lives and forced even more families from their homes.

OCHA in an alert said that 6 humanitarian workers have been killed since January the latest victim was shot during clashes last week near a hospital in Masisi Territory about 80 kilometres west of Goma, in North Kivu.

The clashes killed three other civilians and injured a child, according to OCHA, which said that more than 100,000 people have been forced to flee their homes due to further clashes last week in Lubero Territory, 250 kilometers north of Goma.

OCHA said due to the insecurity several local health facilities have had to suspend activities.

Humanitarian partners on the ground also report that there have been widespread human rights violations amid the fighting, including rape, OCHA said.

The local officials in South Kivu report schools are gradually re-opening in Kalehe Territory, located some 65 kilometres north of the provincial capital Bukavu.

It noted the unexploded ordnance remains a problem in many areas affected by recent fighting, including two schools in the city of Minova, north of Bukavu, according to humanitarian partners.

Head of UN Peacekeeping Operations Jean-Pierre Lacroix expressed concern over the humanitarian crisis and loss of life in the DRC during a press conference in South Sudan’s capital, Juba, on Monday.

Jean-Pierre Lacroix stressed that there is no military solution to the crisis and reiterated that while “it’s encouraging to see progress and involvement from stakeholders…the priority is a cessation of hostilities, implementation of decisions from the Luanda Process, and ensuring humanitarian access.”

He added that the UN Mission faces limitations in M23-controlled areas but continues to protect civilians and reduce violence in other areas, safeguarding hundreds of thousands of civilians daily.

Comments are closed.