GG News Bureau
New Delhi, 18th April. The Delhi Police has arrested 21 people so far in connection with clashes that broke out in Jahangirpuri area of Delhi on Saturday. This includes the ‘main conspirator’ and another person who allegedly opened fire which hit a sub-inspector. Officials gave this information on Sunday.
The Delhi Police said that two juveniles have also been arrested in connection with the incident.
Police said that they have also recovered a pistol from Mohammad Aslam (21), a resident of a slum cluster in CD Park of Jahangirpuri, which he allegedly used during the commission of crime on Saturday evening.
Eight policemen and a local civilian were injured in stone-pelting and arson during clashes between the two communities on Saturday evening, police said. Police said that some vehicles were also torched during this period.
Deputy Commissioner of Police (DCP) North-West, Usha Rangnani had said, “an FIR has been registered under sections 147, 148, 149, 186, 353, 332, 323, 427, 436, 307, 120B of the Indian Penal Code (IPC) and 27 Arms Act dated April 16, following 20 accused persons have been arrested and 2 Juveniles in conflict with the law have been apprehended.”
She added, “one more accused has been arrested in connection with the Jahangirpuri violence case. He is found to be previously involved in a robbery and an attempt to murder case under Jahangirpuri Police station.”
Meanwhile, the Delhi Police Crime Branch and the district police are jointly investigating the incident, said Ravindra Yadav, Special Commissioner of Police, Crime Branch.
Clashes broke out between two communities in the Jahangirpuri area of Delhi on the evening of April 16 during a Hanuman Jayanti procession.
Of the 20 accused persons in the Jahangirpuri violence case, 14 were produced before the Rohini court on Sunday, which sent two prime accused – Ansar and Aslam – to police custody for one day. The remaining 12 were sent to judicial custody for 14 days.
Heavy security has been deployed in the violence-hit area to prevent any untoward incident.
“Adequate number of police officials are present at the location. Delhi Police is on the top level of alertness. Our priority is to curtail rumours,” said Special Commissioner of Police (Law and Order) Depender Pathak.
Comments are closed.