New Delhi: India has strongly condemned the abduction and gruesome murder of Hindu minority leader Bhabesh Chandra Roy in Bangladesh, calling it part of a disturbing “pattern of systematic persecution” under the Muhammad Yunus-led interim government. In a hard-hitting statement, Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) spokesperson Randhir Jaiswal urged Bangladesh to fulfill its responsibility of protecting all minorities, including Hindus, without excuses or discrimination.
“We have seen the tragic case of the abduction and brutal killing of Hindu minority leader Bhabesh Chandra Roy in Bangladesh. This incident is yet another in a growing pattern of systematic persecution under the current interim government, while perpetrators of earlier attacks continue to roam free,” Jaiswal posted on X.
We have noted with distress the abduction and brutal killing of Shri Bhabesh Chandra Roy, a Hindu minority leader in Bangladesh.
This killing follows a pattern of systematic persecution of Hindu minorities under the interim government even as the perpetrators of previous such…— Randhir Jaiswal (@MEAIndia) April 19, 2025
The 58-year-old Roy, vice-president of the Biral unit of the Bangladesh Puja Udjapon Parishad, was a prominent voice for the Hindu community in Dinajpur. He was abducted from his home on April 18 after receiving a suspicious call. According to reports cited by The Daily Star, four men on two motorcycles arrived at his residence and forcefully took him away. He was later found in a severely injured condition and declared dead upon arrival at the hospital.
His wife, Shantana Roy, told media that the call he received was meant to confirm whether he was at home, suggesting premeditated intent. “This was a targeted attack. They knew exactly who he was and where to find him,” she said.
India’s rebuke comes amid rapidly deteriorating bilateral ties following anti-government protests in Bangladesh last year, which forced former PM Sheikh Hasina to exit Dhaka. Since then, minority attacks, especially against Hindus, have surged, sparking outrage in India.
MEA’s Jaiswal further added, “We condemn this incident in the strongest terms and remind the interim government of its duty to ensure the safety and security of all its citizens, especially vulnerable minorities.”
The murder of Roy has added fuel to the fire, especially after Bangladeshi officials recently made contentious remarks on violence in West Bengal. India swiftly dismissed those comments, urging Dhaka to focus on protecting its own minorities rather than indulging in “performative morality.”
As cross-border tensions rise and communal attacks in Bangladesh continue, New Delhi’s sharp reaction signals deepening concerns about minority rights and regional stability in South Asia.
Comments are closed.