“India Neither Needs Nor Accepts Mediation”: PM Modi Rebuts Trump on Ceasefire Claim

GG News Bureau
New Delhi, 18th June: Despite Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s clear assertion that the India-Pakistan ceasefire following Operation Sindoor was initiated at Islamabad’s request, US President Donald Trump has once again claimed credit for “stopping the war” between the two nuclear-armed nations. Speaking to reporters late Wednesday, Trump also lamented that “not one story” had been written about his role in averting the conflict.

The two leaders spoke for 35 minutes over the phone after their planned meeting at the G7 Summit in Canada was cancelled due to Trump’s early departure. According to Foreign Secretary Vikram Misri, the Prime Minister firmly told the US President that India’s measured, non-escalatory response to the Pahalgam terror attack had targeted only terrorist hideouts in Pakistan and Pakistan-occupied Kashmir, and that any talks on ceasefire were initiated directly by Pakistan’s military.

“There was no discussion of US mediation at any level. Prime Minister Modi clearly conveyed that India does not and will never accept third-party mediation,” Misri stated. He also clarified that there was no conversation about a trade deal during this call.

However, Trump maintained a contradictory stance. “I stopped the war between Pakistan and India… I think Modi is a fantastic man… this man [possibly referring to Pakistan Army chief Asim Munir] was extremely influential… I got it stopped,” he said, adding, “I don’t think I had one story written about it… but that’s okay, the people know.”

Trump’s remarks come just hours before his scheduled lunch with General Munir at the White House—an event that has already stirred political backlash in India.

India has consistently held that the ceasefire discussions were managed through direct military channels, with Pakistan’s Director General of Military Operations initiating contact after Indian strikes on key airbases, including Chaklala near Islamabad.

Nonetheless, Trump has repeated the claim multiple times in recent days. “Just like I got India and Pakistan to make a deal… I used TRADE with the United States to bring reason and sanity into talks,” he said, also referring to ongoing Iran-Israel tensions.

New Delhi has reiterated its position that the ceasefire was a bilateral matter and no foreign role was involved in the decision.

Comments are closed.