India Launches Aviation Safety Overhaul After Fatal Air India Dreamliner Crash

GG News Bureau
New Delhi, 16th June: In the wake of last week’s tragic crash of an Air India Boeing 787 Dreamliner in Ahmedabad, India’s aviation authorities have initiated a sweeping safety review of the nation’s commercial fleet. The move, led by the Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA), comes as part of an urgent effort to prevent future disasters and restore public confidence in air travel.

The DGCA has ordered enhanced inspections of all 33 Dreamliner aircraft in Air India’s fleet, of which 22 have already been completed. Though the aircraft involved in the crash had no prior reported issues, officials are leaving nothing to chance. The agency has directed supplementary maintenance checks focused on Dreamliners equipped with GEnx engines, including assessments of take-off performance, fuel systems, and electronic engine controls.

Crash Details and Investigation

Aviation Ministry Secretary Samir Kumar Sinha shared details of the incident at a press briefing. He confirmed that Captain Sumeet Sabharwal of Air India Flight AI 171 issued a mayday call shortly after the aircraft departed from Ahmedabad’s Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel International Airport at 1:39 PM on Thursday. Tragically, the aircraft crashed within moments, claiming 270 lives, including 241 on board and 29 on the ground.

“When air traffic control responded to the pilot’s mayday call, they received no reply. The aircraft crashed moments later,” Sinha said.

The Aircraft Accident Investigation Bureau (AAIB) is leading the statutory probe, with support from the U.S. National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB). In parallel, the government has formed a review panel led by the Home Secretary to re-evaluate and upgrade aviation safety protocols, including Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).

Civil Aviation Minister Ram Mohan Naidu noted, “This marks an important step forward in the investigation. This will significantly aid the inquiry into the incident.”

Flight Operations Disrupted

While the inspections have so far revealed no major safety concerns, Air India confirmed that a number of international flights, especially those to Sydney and Melbourne, have been cancelled or delayed. An Air India official cited extended inspection timelines and the closure of Iranian airspace due to the Iran-Israel conflict as reasons for the disruptions.

“The cancellations are due to a combination of factors including enhanced inspections and rerouting of flights around volatile Middle East zones,” the official told The Economic Times.

Reforms on the Horizon

The disaster has accelerated plans within the government to overhaul India’s aviation safety framework. Officials are reportedly drafting a new policy aimed at fortifying regulatory mechanisms, with particular focus on long-haul aircraft like the Boeing 787 Dreamliner, which has been a global workhorse since its debut.

As investigations progress, the tragedy is likely to serve as a pivotal moment for India’s aviation sector—prompting reforms that could reshape how safety is enforced in the skies.

 

Comments are closed.