GG News Bureau
UNITED NATIONS, 8th Aug. UN head António Guterres on Monday in a note issued to journalists in New York via UN deputy spokesman Farhan Haq said that Mr. Guterres has underlined his support for ongoing mediation efforts by the Economic Community of West African States after attempted military coup in Niger on July 26.
According to media reports, ECOWAS is scheduled to hold another meeting on the crisis in Abuja, Nigeria, on Thursday.
ECOWAS held an extraordinary summit last week where the 15-member bloc issued a communique calling for the reinstatement of Nigerien President Mohamed Bazoum.
The bloc ECOWAS had threatened to “take all measures necessary to restore constitutional order”, including use of force. The ultimatum expired on Sunday.
Military leaders in Niger have closed the country’s airspace in response, it noted.
“The Secretary-General is concerned over the continued detention of President Bazoum and the failure so far to restore constitutional order in Niger,” UN spokesman Office said in a note .
UN Special Representative for West Africa and the Sahel, Leonardo Santos Simão, continues to provide good offices support to regional stakeholders and is currently in Abuja, it added.
“The Secretary-General emphasizes the urgent need to ensure that life-saving humanitarian work continues unhindered, and that the United Nations Humanitarian Air Service that provides a vital link to remote communities in Niger is allowed to operate to and continue to serve those communities,” the note said.
Mr. Simão reported that 4.3 million people in Niger require humanitarian assistance.
He warned that the unfolding crisis could worse insecurity in the wider West African region.
UN humanitarian agencies have pledged to stay and deliver in Niger, it concluded.
Comments are closed.