Guterres ‘strongly deplores’ Russian attacks in Odessa, other ports

Anjali Sharma

GG News Bureau

UNITED NATIONS, 21st July. UN head António Guterres on Thursday strongly deplored Russian attacks on Odesa and other Ukrainian ports after Moscow’s decision to withdraw from the Black Sea Initiative earlier this week.

The UN said that Russia also withdrew safe passage guarantees for ships carrying grain and other foodstuffs navigating in the northwestern part of the Black Sea.

It noted that the Initiative has facilitated the export of over 30 million tonnes of Ukrainian grain to global markets via three Black Sea ports, including Odessa.

The Black Sea Initiative was agreed by Russia, Ukraine, Türkiye and the UN in Istanbul last July, with a parallel accord between the UN and Russia on grain and fertilizer exports, known as the Memorandum of Understanding, Mr. Guterres stressed.

According to news reports, 3 people were killed in third successive night of airstrikes on Wednesday into Thursday, targeting facilities in Ukrainian port cities.

According to Ukrainian officials, 19 people were injured in Mykolaiv, a city close to the Black Sea, including a child.

Head of communications for UN aid coordination office OCHA in Ukraine, Saviano Abreu, tweeted that the “horrific” attack on the city occurred right in the centre.

She added that humanitarians are supporting families whose houses have been hit, and have provided emergency support including cash assistance.

UN Secretary General António Guterres in a statement released by UN Spokesperson Stephane Dujarric in New York said the attacks “contradict” Russia’s commitments under the still active MoU which states Russia “will facilitate the unimpeded export of food, sunflower oil and fertilizers from Ukrainian controlled Black Sea ports”.

“The Secretary-General also recalls that the destruction of civilian infrastructure may constitute a violation of international humanitarian law. These attacks are also having an impact well beyond Ukraine”, the statement added.

He said “We are already seeing the negative effect on global wheat and corn prices which hurts everyone, but especially vulnerable people in the Global South.”

Mr. Guterres said he would “not relent” in his bid to ensure Ukrainian and Russian food and fertilizer are available on international markets, linking this to ongoing efforts to combat global hunger and rising food prices worldwide.

UN Resident Coordinator in Ukraine, Denise Brown condemned the attacks, said she was horrified by the images coming from Odesa of damage and destruction.

“It is the second day in a row that this civilian port, a crucial lifeline for Ukraine and for the poorest people in the world who depend on Ukrainian grain, has been severely damaged in massive strikes.” she said in a statement.

“This is inhumane and against international humanitarian law,” she added, before calling for an end to the assaults, she concluded.

Comments are closed.