Guterres condemns deadly attack targeted civilians in Kyiv

By Anjali Sharma

UNITED NATIONS – UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres on Friday condemned the death of several civilians including children, in a Russian attack on Kyiv where many others were injured, in a statement issued in New York.

Guterres strongly condemned the large-scale missile and drone strikes across the country on Friday, which killed at least 6 people in Kyiv and two in Chornomorsk, and caused multiple civilian injuries, the statement issued by his spokesman Stephane Dujarric in New York.

It noted residential areas, energy facilities and the Azerbaijani Embassy in Kyiv were also damaged.

He stressed that “attacks against civilians and civilian infrastructure are unacceptable” and violate international humanitarian law. He also recalled “the inviolability of diplomatic premises”.

Guterres urged a full, immediate and unconditional ceasefire as a first step towards a just and lasting peace that respects Ukraine’s sovereignty, independence and territorial integrity.

UN Humanitarian Coordinator for Ukraine, Matthias Schmale deplored the latest wave of drones and missile strikes, which damaged or destroyed homes, medical facilities and heating networks in and around the capital.

I condemn the ongoing pattern of massive civilian harm caused by these strikes, which are destroying essential infrastructure just as winter sets in,” he said in a statement posted on social media.

UN human rights investigators said in a recent report that Ukraine is facing intensified attacks on its energy grid.

“October saw emergency power cuts across multiple regions of Ukraine, driven by the Russian Federation’s continued region-specific attacks and renewed large-scale strikes on energy infrastructure,” it said.

Media reported 6 people were killed in the Kyiv attack.

UNICEF said two children, aged seven and 10, were reportedly among those injured.

More terrifying, sleepless and cold nights for children in Ukraine as attacks continue, impacting homes, power and heating supply systems,” the agency tweeted.

UNICEF appealed for an end to all attacks, and for children to be protected.

Over 14,500 people have been killed, and 38,500 injured since the war started

According to UN aid coordination office OCHA13 million people, 36% of the population, need humanitarian assistance.

It added that despite challenges, the UN and partners reached 8.4 million people last year.

Comments are closed.