Google announced more jobs cuts

Anjali Sharma
GG News Bureau
NEW YORK, 19th Jan. Google CEO Sundar Pichai on Thursday warned employees to brace themselves for more job cuts this year.

According to The Verge, cited an internal memo that Google has let go over a thousand employees across various departments in the last one week or so, is likely to go for more job cuts.

“We have ambitious goals and will be investing in our big priorities this year,” Pichai told employees in the memo.

“The reality is that to create the capacity for this investment, we have to make tough choices,” he added.

In the memo, Pichai said that latest “role eliminations are not at the scale of last year’s reductions, and will not touch every team”.

“But I know it’s very difficult to see colleagues and teams impacted,” the Google CEO added.

The layoffs this year are about “removing layers to simplify execution and drive velocity in some areas”.

“Many of these changes are already announced, though to be upfront, some teams will continue to make specific resource allocation decisions throughout the year where needed, and some roles may be impacted,” Pichai wrote.

Google laid off 1,000 employees last week, is also slashing “a few hundred” more jobs in its advertising sales team as part of an ongoing restructuring exercise.

Philipp Schindler, Google’s chief business officer, told staff in a memo that the fresh job cuts “were the result of changes to how Google’s sales team operated”.

He confirmed that “a few hundred roles globally are being eliminated” as part of the restructuring.

Google cut its workforce by 12,000 people, or around 6 per cent of its full-time employees last year.

Comments are closed.