Civilians Killed as Israel-Iran Conflict Escalates; Global Leaders Urge De-escalation

GG News Bureau
Jerusalem/Tehran, 16th June: The military conflict between Israel and Iran intensified overnight on Monday, with fresh airstrikes hitting residential areas and killing civilians, further heightening fears of a wider regional war. As the death toll rises on both sides, international leaders have issued renewed calls for restraint and immediate de-escalation.

Iran’s Health Ministry reported on Tuesday that at least 230 people have been killed in Israeli airstrikes since Friday, while 380 others have been wounded. On the Israeli side, 10 civilians, including children, were killed over the weekend in retaliatory missile attacks launched by Iran. This brings Israel’s total death toll to 13 since the hostilities began late last week.

Among the latest casualties is Mohammad Kazem, the intelligence chief of Iran’s elite Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC), who was reportedly killed in an Israeli strike on Sunday.

Missiles Hit Civilian Areas

The latest wave of violence saw missile strikes landing in civilian-populated zones, exacerbating the humanitarian toll and sparking international alarm. Videos from both countries showed widespread destruction, emergency response efforts, and grieving families mourning the dead.

While the military objectives appear focused on weakening each other’s defense and nuclear capabilities, the civilian toll has become increasingly severe.

Diplomatic Talks Collapse Amid Escalation

The conflict has come at a sensitive time, with Tehran and Washington previously engaged in indirect talks aimed at reviving nuclear negotiations. However, Iran canceled the sixth round of talks scheduled for Sunday in Oman, citing continued Israeli aggression.

Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi accused Israel of deliberately attempting to “undermine diplomacy and derail negotiations” through its military actions.

Israel launched a series of preemptive strikes on Friday, claiming they were necessary to cripple Iran’s nuclear infrastructure. Iran retaliated with missile barrages, intensifying the conflict and dashing hopes for a near-term resolution.

US, Global Powers Urge Calm—But Take No Direct Action

U.S. President Donald Trump, speaking on Monday, said he hoped the two countries could “make a deal,” but added that they might need to “fight it out” first. The remarks have drawn criticism from diplomatic circles, as the violence continues to claim civilian lives.

Iran has categorically stated that it will not negotiate under fire, while Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu rejected international calls for a ceasefire. “The issue here is not de-escalation,” Netanyahu said, “but stopping Iran from developing nuclear weapons.”

As fears grow of the conflict spilling into neighboring countries, observers warn that further escalation could destabilize the entire Middle East.

For now, both nations remain locked in one of their deadliest confrontations in years, with no signs yet of a diplomatic breakthrough.

 

Comments are closed.