Anjali Sharma
GG News Bureau
UNITED NATIONS, 16th Jan. UN Emergency Relief Coordinator, Martin Griffiths on Monday has allocated $10 million from the UN’s Central Emergency Response Fund to support men, women and children fleeing the conflict between rival militaries in Sudan, across the border into neighboring South Sudan.
UN Spokesperson, Stéphane Dujarric told reporters in a regular briefing that the funds will be used to build shelters, offer cash assistance, build water, sanitation and hygiene facilities, and support onward transportation for new arrivals who are staying in overcrowded transit sites.
“We are anticipating that thousands of additional people may cross the borders into South Sudan from Sudan over the next six months, stressing a system that is already under stress”, he said.
Over 60,000 people have arrived in South Sudan last month after the clashes between Government troops and the Rapid Support Forces militia fighters in and around Wad Medani, Sudan’s second-largest city.
Million people have crossed into South Sudan since mid-April 2023, when the rival armies began fighting after the collapse of their longstanding alliance, stretched back to the brutal conflict in Darfur during the early 2000s.
UN warned that amid “horrific abuses” against civilians around 25 million Sudanese will need humanitarian support through this year, but intensifying fighting is making aid delivery nearly impossible.
“The war has unleashed the world’s largest displacement crisis, uprooting the lives of seven million”, warned Mr. Griffiths.
Comments are closed.