Anjali Sharma
GG News Bureau
WASHINGTON DC, 5th July. The local officials in California on Thursday said that thousands evacuated in the wildfires spread in Northern California after heatwaves.
News media reported that about 70 miles (113km) north of Sacramento, crews have been battling a wildfire in Butte County.
According to the Department of Forestry and Fire Protection of California 28,000 residents were under the evacuation order near Oroville due to the fast-moving fire.
Officials told the media that the blaze, dubbed the Thompson Fire, broke out and grew to over 3 square miles (10.6 square kilometres) by Wednesday morning, with zero containment.
Smoke from the fires has been blown towards Sacramento with hazy skies reportedly seen above the city, media reported.
The largest current blaze, the Basin Fire, was 26 per cent contained after burning some 22 square miles (56 square kilometres) of the Sierra National Forest in eastern Fresno County since it was sparked on June 26, according to local officials.
California’s heat was expected to spread from north to south over the week, focused on interior areas such as the Sacramento and San Joaquin valleys and the southern deserts.
Sacramento is under an excessive heat warning expected to last until Sunday night, with temperatures forecasted to reach between 105 degrees and 115 degrees (40.5 and 46.1 Celsius).
CAL FIRE said there were 2,934 Wildfires in California, burning 139,590 Acres (565 square kilometres), as of Wednesday morning.
Red flag fire warnings were issued across the state.
The state governor’s office announced late Tuesday that federal funding had been approved to help with firefighting efforts.
The utility Pacific Gas & Electric implemented public safety power shutoffs in parts of 10 counties to prevent wildfires from being ignited by downed or damaged electrical wires.
Comments are closed.