Guwahati | April 23, 2025 –A major security alert gripped the Gauhati High Court on Tuesday after it received a bomb threat via email from an unidentified group calling itself the “Madras Tigers.” The hoax threat prompted a six-hour-long security operation by the police, intelligence agencies, and CRPF personnel.
The alert was raised around 11:15 AM when court officials found a threatening email warning of an explosion within the court premises. By 11:40 AM, a full-scale search operation was underway. “Personnel from the police, intelligence, and CRPF rushed to the spot following the alert,” a senior police official told .
Despite the gravity of the threat, the court remained functional throughout the day. A 14-member police team combed through the courtrooms, offices, and conference room, while a CRPF dog squad examined the outer premises. The search concluded at 5:30 PM, revealing no explosives. “It turned out to be a bomb scare,” the police official confirmed, adding that all procedures were followed as per standard high-alert protocol.
The Gauhati High Court, operational since 1948 and the oldest in the Northeast, falls under the jurisdiction of the Latasil police station in Guwahati. It is already designated a high-security zone, guarded by a permanent platoon of 17 personnel and a Quick Response Team (QRT) operational from 8 AM to 10 PM.
The city’s cybercrime unit is now investigating the origin of the email, which was signed by the so-called “Madras Tigers”—a group previously unknown to authorities.“It’s an unidentified group. The cybercrime unit is working to trace the source of the email,” the official said.
This incident has raised questions about evolving digital threats to judicial institutions and the rise of anonymous cyber terror tactics.
Comments are closed.