Trump warns ‘massive bloodshed’ as Israel, Hamas meets for talks in Sharm el-Sheikh

By Anjali Sharma

WASHINGTON – US President Donald Trump said Monday that the first phase of the Gaza peace plan would be completed this week, urged Israel and Hamas to “move fast,” and warning that failure to do so could lead to “massive bloodshed.”

The delegation, led by top Israeli negotiator Ron Dermer, departed for the talks on Monday in Sharm el-Sheikh, according to Netanyahu’s office.

An Egyptian official confirmed that the Hamas delegation had already arrived. Trump’s son-in-law, Jared Kushner, and special US envoy Steve Witkoff are also traveling to Egypt to join the talks and bolster negotiations on the hostage release agreed to by Hamas, as well as other aspects of the peace plan.

The initial phase of the peace plan is expected to focus on the release of hostages, media reported.

Discussions will center on a proposed exchange of hostages for Palestinian prisoners held by Israel, Egypt’s foreign ministry said. Under the plan, Hamas would release the remaining 48 hostages, about 20 of whom are believed to be alive, within three days. Hamas would also relinquish power and disarm.

“I am told that the first phase should be completed this week, and I am asking everyone to MOVE FAST. I will continue to monitor this centuries-old conflict. TIME IS OF THE ESSENCE OR MASSIVE BLOODSHED WILL FOLLOW — SOMETHING THAT NOBODY WANTS TO SEE!” Trump wrote in a post on his Truth Social platform.

He claimed there had been “positive discussions” with Hamas and other countries regarding the Gaza peace plan.

“There have been very positive discussions with Hamas and countries from all over the world( Arab, Muslim, and everyone else) this weekend to release the hostages, end the war in Gaza, but, more importantly, to finally have long-sought PEACE in the Middle East. These talks have been very successful and are proceeding rapidly. The technical teams will again meet Monday, in Egypt, to work through and clarify the final details,” he said.

Hamas accepted certain parts of Trump’s Gaza peace plan, including ending the war, Israel’s withdrawal, the release of Israeli hostages and Palestinian prisoners, aid and recovery efforts, and opposition to the expulsion of Palestinians from the territory. This followed an ultimatum from the US President for Hamas to accept the deal or face “all hell.”

Hamas stopped short of endorsing other elements of the 20-point plan.

Trump warned Hamas to “move quickly” and agree to a peace deal with Israel or “risk further devastation” in Gaza.

He also called on Israel to halt its bombing campaign. Nevertheless, just hours after Trump’s warning, Israel reportedly struck Gaza, killing six people.

Trump claimed that Israel had agreed to the initial withdrawal line and that a ceasefire would follow Hamas’ confirmation.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said he hopes to announce the release of all hostages from Gaza “in the coming days.”

Despite Trump’s assertion that Israel had “temporarily stopped” bombing the enclave, dozens of people were reportedly killed in Israeli airstrikes on Saturday, according to hospital sources in Gaza.

Comments are closed.