By Anjali Sharma
UNITED NATIONS – UN Human Rights Monitoring Mission in Ukraine on Wednesday warned that July was the month of the highest civilian casualties in Ukraine since May 2022, with 286 people killed and 1,388 injured, in a press release issued in New York.
It marked a three-year high, topped June’s figure, with HRMMU verifying civilian deaths and injuries in 18 of Ukraine’s 24 regions.
Danielle Bell, Head of HRMMU said “For the second month in a row, the number of civilian casualties in Ukraine hits a new three-year high”.
“Only the first three months after the Russian Federation launched its full-scale invasion of Ukraine saw more killed and injured than in this past month,” she added.
The mission noted the numbers for the first 7 months of 2025 were 48 per cent higher than in the same period last year.
It said that long-range weapons, including missiles and suicide drones, accounted for 40 per cent of casualties.
HRMMU stated that on 31 July, Kyiv saw its deadliest attack since the start of the full-scale invasion, with 31 people killed, including five children, when a missile struck a residential building.
It documented in a bulletin published showed in June, short-range drones caused 24 per cent of casualties, reflected a sharp rise since mid-2024.
The steepest monthly increase came from aerial bombs, which killed 67 and injured 209 in July, compared with 114 casualties in June. Strikes hit a penal colony in Zaporizhzhia and an apartment building in Donetsk, killing at least 21 people in total, the report added.
Ms. Bell said “Whether you are in a hospital or a prison, at home or at work, close to or far away from the frontline, if you are in Ukraine today, you are at risk of getting killed or injured by the war,”.
Comments are closed.