Karregutta Operation a ‘Historic’ Blow to Maoists, Says Amit Shah; 31 Killed, 450 IEDs Seized

GG News Bureau
Karregutta Hill, 14th May: In what has been described as India’s largest and most successful anti-Maoist operation to date, 31 Maoists were killed in a massive offensive by security forces near Karregutta Hill, a long-held Maoist stronghold located along the Chhattisgarh-Telangana border.

Union Home Minister Amit Shah on Wednesday hailed the operation as a “historic achievement,” adding that “the hill, once ruled by red terror, now proudly waves the tricolour.” Shah reiterated the government’s commitment to completely eradicate Maoism by March 2026.

The 21-day operation, which began on April 22, involved coordinated efforts by the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF), Chhattisgarh Police’s Special Task Force (STF), and the District Reserve Guard (DRG). Notably, the entire operation was executed without a single casualty on the part of the security forces.

Officials confirmed the recovery of 450 improvised explosive devices (IEDs), 40 weapons, and a substantial cache of ammunition, detonators, and other war-like stores. Security forces also uncovered four Maoist-run factories engaged in manufacturing weapons, motors, and cutting tools. Additionally, nearly 12,000 kg of materials, including medicines and electrical equipment, were seized.

Crushing the Core of Maoist Command

CRPF Director General General GP Singh stated that the 31 slain Maoists carried a combined bounty of ₹1.72 crore. “What we set out to do, we have achieved more than that. This is the beginning of the end for Maoism,” he declared. According to Singh, preliminary identification indicates that many of the deceased were senior Maoist leaders. So far, 28 of the 31 bodies have been identified.

Karregutta Hill was considered a ‘unified headquarters’ for multiple Maoist factions, where training, strategy, and weapons development were centered. The 5,000-feet tall hill had long eluded security forces due to its heavily mined terrain and dense jungle cover. Sources said the final push involved air-dropping troops at key locations, who then navigated a perilous landscape riddled with landmines and booby traps to reach the Maoist cave complex known for its maze-like structure.

Twelve days before the conclusion of the operation, reports suggested that the final push was underway to reclaim this Maoist bastion. Among the most hunted figures believed to be linked to the hill is Madavi Hidma, the shadowy head of Battalion No. 1 and a key orchestrator of deadly attacks, including those in Dantewada (2010) and Sukma (2017). Authorities have not yet confirmed whether Hidma was among the 31 killed.

Government’s Maoist-Free India Goal

At a press briefing, General Singh noted the steep decline in Maoist-affected districts, down from 35 last year to just six in 2025. He also revealed that 718 Maoists have surrendered so far this year, following nearly 1,000 surrenders in 2024.

Last month, Home Minister Shah had urged Maoists to surrender and return to the mainstream, highlighting central and state welfare schemes available to those who renounce violence. Both the central and Chhattisgarh state governments are led by the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP).

Praising the grit of security forces, Chhattisgarh Chief Minister Vishnudev Sai said, “This is the biggest anti-Maoist operation in the country. I salute the courage of our forces, operating in scorching heat, rugged terrain, without shade or water.”

Comments are closed.