UN mission relocates non-critical staff from North Kivu, DRC
By Anjali Sharma
UNITED NATIONS – UN mission in DR Congo, MONUSCO on Saturday said that UN is temporarily relocating non-essential staff from Goma in the Democratic Republic of the Congo without interrupting its operations in the DRC at a time heightened security concerns, according to a statement issued.
MONUSCO is relocating administrative staff and others in North Kivu that can continue performing their duties from elsewhere in response to the deteriorating security situation and intensifying hostilities involved the non-State armed group M23, a Rwandan-backed movement fighting against the Congolese Government.
MONUSCO said in a statement “This precautionary measure safeguards staff safety while ensuring the UN’s vital operations in the region remain uninterrupted,”.
“This transfer does not affect the UN’s unwavering commitment to providing humanitarian aid and protecting civilians in North Kivu.”
The mission stated that the area has seen a repeated resurgence of non-State armed groups in the past. Clashes between the M23 and Congolese Government troops intensified earlier this month.
According to news agencies, combatants from M23 killed the military governor of North Kivu as the general was inspecting the border.
UNHCR said that some 400,000 people have been displaced in North and South Kivu since the beginning of this year alone.
UN agency’s chief of office in Goma, Abdoulaye Barry said that the situation is becoming increasingly unsafe for both civilians and aid teams.
The essential UN personnel are remaining on the ground, sustaining critical operations such as food distribution, medical assistance, shelter and protection for vulnerable communities, he added.
UN is working closely with humanitarian partners and national authorities to ensure lifesaving assistance reaches those most in need and prevent any threat against civilians.
The temporary relocation of staff will be reassessed based on the evolution of the security situation, with the aim of fully restoring the presence as soon as conditions allow.
“The United Nations reaffirms its deep commitment to the people of North Kivu,” the UN mission said.
UN head António Guterres has called for an immediate end to the fighting.
He noted that the conflict has taken a devastating toll on the Congolese and the entire region.
Comments are closed.