Top relief official ‘demands sustained, urgent attention’ in Sudan crisis

By Anjlai Sharma

UNITED NATIONS – UN Director of Operations at the Office for Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs Edem Wosornu on Thursday issued an urgent plea for international support to alleviate the deadly toll of the ongoing war in Sudan, as millions remain in desperate need of aid and protection.

Edem Wosornu briefed the Security Council members described the situation as a “crisis of staggering scale and cruelty”.

“It demands sustained and urgent attention,” she emphasized.

Ms. Wosornu detailed the catastrophic toll of the conflict, which erupted between rival militaries vying for power and influence last April.

Some 12 million people a quarter of Sudan’s population have been displaced.

Over 3.2 million have fled to neighbouring countries as refugees, strain fragile regions with limited resources.

She said that fierce fighting continues to rage in densely populated areas, with widespread disregard for international humanitarian law on all sides.

Civilians have been killed and injured in overwhelming numbers, sexual violence is rife, and essential infrastructure – including healthcare and education facilities lies in ruins.

Deadly diseases such as cholera are also spreading rapidly, as millions face severe hunger and malnutrition.

Ms. Wosornu highlighted the efforts of UN Emergency Relief Coordinator Tom Fletcher, who visited Sudan and Chad.

She stated that progress has been achieved in opening critical aid routes and improving humanitarian access, noted the extension of permission for the use of the vital Adre border crossing with Chad.

Mr. Fletcher announced an immediate allocation of $5 million from the UN Central Emergency Response Fund  to support overwhelmed local and international responders aiding Sudanese refugees.

WFP reached the Zamzam camp for internally displaced people in North Darfur last month first UN food convoy since famine conditions were confirmed in July.

WFP convoy to the camp was delayed by an escalation of fierce fighting, including shocking reports of repeated shelling on the camp itself, which has sent thousands fleeing, Ms. Wosornu said.

Recent days have seen further reports of civilian casualties due to apparently indiscriminate attacks – including aerial bombardment and artillery shelling in [the provincial capital] El Fasher and other areas of Darfur,” she added.

UN Edem Wosornu, outlined three key asks for Security Council members, called for an unequivocal demand for warring parties to comply with international norms, spare civilians and essential infrastructure, and end sexual violence as a tool of war.

Council members must use their influence to ensure all relief routes remain open, including cross-border and cross-conflict line routes.

She called for bureaucratic hurdles such as visa delays to be removed.

The financial resources must be provided at scale to overcome severe funding gaps.

She urged donors to meet the $4.2 billion required to assist 21 million people in Sudan and an additional $1.8 billion for refugee support in seven neighbouring countries.

UN Edem Wosornu concluded that while humanitarians will bring intensity, energy and creativity to their mission to assist communities in need, “the only way to end this cycle of violence, death and destruction is for this [Security] Council to rise to the challenge of delivering lasting peace in Sudan.

Comments are closed.