Anjali Sharma
GG News Bureau
UNITED NATIONS, 9th July. UN top aid coordinator in Ukraine, Denise Brown on Monday condemned new barrage of missiles fired by Russian forces on Ukrainian cities which killed dozens and a locations of a children’s hospital got hit
Denise Brown, said that several cities were targeted, including the capital, Kyiv, Kryvyi Rih and Pokrovsk.
The attacks happened just “as people were starting their day. Dozens of people have been killed and injured,” said Ms. Brown, who reported heavy damage to the children’s hospital in the centre of Kyiv.
She insisted “It is unconscionable that children are killed and injured in this war. Under international humanitarian law, hospitals have special protection. Civilians must be protected,”.
UN human rights office in a latest alert monitors that May saw the highest number of civilian casualties caused by Russian attacks in a year.
According to the report by UN Human rights Monitor body between 1 March and 31 May, at least 436 civilians were killed and a further 1,760 injured. Casualties included six media workers, 26 healthcare employees, five aid workers and 28 emergency services workers.
UN report added that the majority (91 per cent) of the casualties were in territory controlled by Ukraine and nine per cent in Russian-occupied territory.
Russian authorities also reported that 91 civilians were killed and 455 injured in Russia from attacks launched by Ukrainian armed forces, primarily in Belgorod, Briansk and Kursk regions.
According to reports, 20 people were killed in Monday’s attacks, while President Volodymyr Zelenskiy said that more than 40 missiles had been fired.
UN humanitarians stressed that in addition to the Ohmatdyt Children’s Hospital in Kyiv, other public infrastructure was also damaged, along with commercial and residential buildings in cities including Dnipro, Kramatorsk, Kryviy Rih, Kyi and Pokrovsk.
UNICEF official in Ukraine, Munir Mammadzade said that the agency was providing emergency water and hygiene supplies to the facility, hours after the incident, after a video footage posted online showed volunteers trying to clear the rubble and search for survivors at the hospital in Kyiv.
“Russia’s full-scale invasion continues impacting children disproportionately,” he said in a post on X.
“We have received horrific reports of a children’s hospital in Kyiv extensively damaged in an attack this morning, with reports of casualties. Children are #NotATarget and must always be protected.”
Comments are closed.