Blue helmets provide new humanitarian corridor in DR Congo

Anjali Sharma

GG News Bureau
UNITED NATIONS, 2nd Feb.
According to UN spokesman Stephane Dujarric on Thursday in New York told correspondents that peacekeepers are “continuing to do their utmost to protect civilians” in the North Kivu region of the Democratic Republic of the Congo after ongoing clashes between the M23 rebel group and Congolese armed forces.

He said according to the UN Stabilization Mission, MONUSCO it has established a temporary presence in Mweso after clashes in the area of North Kivu.

“Peacekeepers have also created a humanitarian corridor, which has allowed more than 1,000 displaced men, women and children to move to safer ground”, he said.

UN Mission is to protect and provide medical assistance to displaced communities taking refuge near its base in Kitchanga, which is about 15 kilometres from Mweso, Mr. Dujarric said.

The mission said it had helped evacuate eight Congolese soldiers to Goma who had been wounded in the fighting with the M23. The UN will monitor the situation closely, he added.

MONUSCO is due to withdraw completely from DRC at the request of the government by the end of 2024, but while ‘blue helmets” may be withdrawing, the UN has said that it will continue providing support to the Congolese people in the long-term.

Comments are closed.