Anjali Sharma
GG News Bureau
UNITED NATIONS, 12th Jan. UN aid coordination office in New York said on Thursday that Russian airstrikes have continued to “wreak havoc” on Ukrainian cities, caused death and destruction and left millions of civilians without access to vital services.
Office for Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs in a flash update, said that since the intensification of aerial attacks on 29 December, 3,000 families had seen their homes damaged across Ukraine.
It was the deadliest attacks since the Russian invasion in February 2022, in which at least 58 people were killed and over 150 injured during country-wide aerial strikes.
WHO also verified that health services have been affected, with 11 attacks since 29 December.
OCHA said “The attacks were exacerbated by the extreme weather conditions, leaving millions without electricity, water or heating, at a time when temperatures dropped to as low as to -15 degrees Celsius (5 degrees Fahrenheit) in different parts of Ukraine,”.
Humanitarians continued to support those affected by the attacks, despite challenges, noted that damage had been reported to aid facilities in Kherson.
“Today aid workers are providing assistance to civilians in Kharkiv, where a strike late last night damaged a hotel and other civilian infrastructure,” OCHA added.
It said some 55 incidents impacting humanitarian assets were reported, including 30 incidents when warehouses and distribution sites came under fire in 2023.
OCHA report noted a spike in deaths and injuries across Ukraine.
The Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights recorded the death of 125 civilians and injury to over 550 others, since December 29.
It reiterated that between 6 and 8 January at least five children were reported killed and 8 more injured in Donetsk, Dnipro, Kharkiv and Kherson regions.
The number of civilians killed since the war between Russia and Ukraine is over 10,200 including 575 children and 19,300 were injured.
Comments are closed.