WHO warns US aid cuts jeopardize global fight against tuberculosis

By Anjali Sharma

UNITED NATIONS – World Health Agency on Wednesday warned that severe funding cuts particularly in the United States are threatening decades of progress in the fight against tuberculosis (TB) still the world’s deadliest infectious disease.

WHO highlighted that essential prevention, testing and treatment services are collapsing, leaving millions at risk.

The agency noted that the hardest-hit regions include Africa, Southeast Asia, and the Western Pacific, where national TB programmes depend heavily on international support.

Tereza Kasaeva, Director of WHO Global Programme on TB and Lung Health said “Any disruption to TB services – whether financial, political or operational – can have devastating and often fatal consequences for millions worldwide”.

UN head António Guterres raised the alarm over funding cuts, noting the immediate impact on key health programmes combatting HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis, malaria and cholera.

The global TB programmes have saved over 79 million lives, averted 3.65 million deaths last year alone in past 2 weeks according to the WHO.

The agency stressed that a significant portion of this success has been driven by US Government funding which has provided $200 to $250 million annually a quarter of the total international donor funding secured.

US has been the largest bilateral donor for programmes combating the disease, WHO said.

The newly announced cuts for 2025 through executive orders will have devastating impacts on TB response efforts in 18 high-burden countries, where 89 per cent of expected US funding was allocated for patient care.

The impact will be devastating in Africa, where treatment disruptions and staff layoffs could exponentially increase TB transmission rates.

Early reports from TB-affected countries indicate that funding constraints are already dismantling essential health services, WHO said.

The most pressing concerns are health worker layoffs, drug shortages and supply chain breakdowns, data and surveillance systems are collapse, and disruptions to TB research and funding, the agency noted.

Dr. Kasaeva urged “Without immediate action, hard-won progress in the fight against TB is at risk. Our collective response must be swift, strategic and fully resourced to protect the most vulnerable and maintain momentum toward ending TB.”

WHO reaffirmed its commitment to support governments and global partners in the fight against TB.

“In these challenging times, the WHO remains steadfast in its commitment to supporting national governments, civil society and global partners in securing sustained funding and integrated solutions to safeguard the health and well-being of those most vulnerable to TB,” the agency stated.

Comments are closed.