WHO, partners provide lifesaving aid after deadly Israeli strikes in Al Mawasi

Anjali Sharma
GG News Bureau
UNITED NATIONS, 14th July. World health agency and its partners on Saturday said that they are providing help to hundreds hurt during airstrikes by Israeli forces on Gaza’s Al Mawasi area which have reportedly left at least 90 dead and around 300 injured, according to figures from the Gaza health ministry.

Israeli officials said the attack had been a “precision” strike targeting top Hamas military commander Mohammed Deif and his deputy Rafa Salama.

Media reports said that the strike took place close to the city of Khan Younis in an area designated by the Israeli military as a safe zone for civilians.

Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu in a press conference later said it was not clear if the alleged targets had been killed during the strikes.

Head of the WHO Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus on post X said that 134 “severely injured people” had been admitted to the Nasser Medical Complex “which is extremely overwhelmed by the influx”.

WHO staffers are at the hospital along with two emergency medical teams helping to treat the injured, he added

“We have dispatched 50 foldable beds and 50 stretchers to increase the hospital’s capacity while our prepositioned medicines and trauma supplies are being used to save lives.”

Tedros said that some of the injured have also been taken to a field hospital run by the International Medical Corps in Deir Al Balah where WHO supplies have been provided to meet the urgent needs of around 120 others. Other NGO field hospitals have also received patients in need of urgent treatment.

Senior Communications Officer for the UNRWA Louise Wateridge, tweeted harrowing video from Al Nasser hospital on Saturday afternoon local time where workers were “mopping up pools of blood with water alone.”

She described children lying on blood stained mattresses “traumatised from losing siblings. Some had lost limbs. Many had life changing injuries.”

UN independent expert who monitors human rights in the Occupied Palestinian Territories Francesca Albanese, said in a post on X that she was “horrified” at the deaths and injuries sustained during the strikes on what an Israeli military official said was an operational Hamas compound, in an “open area”.

Hamas said it was “false” that Israel had targeted two top military commanders.

Ms. Albanese tweeted on X that the Israeli attack was “yet another senseless massacre” of civilians.

“The justification is always the same: ‘targeting Palestinian militants,’ she added.

Gaza’s civil defence authority officials reported that 20 Palestinians were killed in an Israeli attack on a prayer centre inside the Shati camp for the displaced, to the west of Gaza City on Saturday.

Comments are closed.