WFP provides life-saving aid to 1M people in Burkina Faso

By Anjali Sharma

UNITED NATIONS –According to a report released by World Food Programme on Tuesday has reached a significant milestone in its humanitarian response in Burkina Faso where the agency has provided assistance to over one million crises affected people so far this year through crucial funding from the United States.

WFP said that the relief response came at a critical time for Burkina Faso is facing instability, security challenges and humanitarian needs.

According to news reports, over half of Burkina Faso currently operates beyond government control following a military takeover in 2022.

Burkina Faso’s human rights situation deteriorated significantly in 2023, after deadly attacks by Islamist armed groups against civilians.

Both military forces and pro-government militia were found to have committed abuses during counterinsurgency operations.

UN humanitarian reported the Sahel region has been threatened for years by a proliferation of armed groups.

In northern Mali, jihadist-linked insurgent pushed south, bring lawlessness to northern Burkina Faso and western Niger, while also threatening the stability of neighboring countries.

WFP and the US International Development Bureau of Humanitarian Affairs successfully delivered vital humanitarian assistance to over one million crisis affected people in Burkina Faso.

US Government provided $124 million to support WFP’s operations in the nation.

The aid response has been significantly enhanced by the UN Humanitarian Air Service managed by WFP, has proven crucial to reach isolated communities.

January and September 2024, 15,000 humanitarian workers and over 500 tones of relief supplies were delivered through UNHAS.

Sory Ouane, WFP’s Country Director and Representative in Burkina Faso said “This unwavering support has been instrumental in enabling WFP to reach populations in need in Burkina Faso’s hard to-reach locations”.

The aid came at a crucial time, as data from “Cadre Harmonisé” Food Security analysis, revealed 2.7 million people in Burkina Faso, required immediate food assistance during the challenging June to August lean season.

Mr. Ouane emphasized that while progress has been made, significant challenges remain.

“With the continued support of our partners, including BHA, we can ensure that the most vulnerable – particularly displaced women and children – receive the assistance they need to survive and rebuild their lives,” he said.

WFP “will continue to support crisis-affected communities, ensuring that no one is left behind,” Mr. Ouane stressed.

Comments are closed.