We will Continue to Support NPP-led Government in Meghalaya, says BJP leader

GG News Bureau

Shillong, 6th Oct. Sanbor Shullai, the leader of the BJP, reaffirmed his party’s commitment to the Meghalaya Democratic Alliance government in the face of rumors that it would stop supporting the coalition.

Shullai’s remarks came nearly a month after the BJP’s Meghalaya in-charge M Chuba Ao stated that the party would soon decide whether to continue its support for the NPP-led government in the state, following allegations of corruption against the Conrad K Sangma administration.

“The BJP will not leave the alliance and will serve out its term in the coalition,” Shullai said.

Sanbor’s claim was backed up by the party’s Meghalaya president, Ernest Mawrie, who claimed Ao made the remark without consulting other state leaders.

Shullai, a cabinet minister, said on Wednesday that withdrawing support for the government at this time would create a false impression among its supporters.

“He (Ao) did not consult the state leaders. I have informed our central leadership about the matter,” Mawrie said.

The BJP, with two MLAs, is a partner in the state’s coalition government led by the National People’s Party.

In the 60-member assembly, the ruling Meghalaya Democratic Alliance has 48 MLAs, including 23 from the NPP.

Ao had stated last month that the saffron camp was investigating several corruption allegations leveled against the coalition government.

“Our workers have been instructed to collect evidence. If required, central agencies will probe the allegations,” he had said.

Comments are closed.