US says civilian marine injured in Houthi attack on cargo vessel

Anjali Sharma
GG News Bureau
WASHINGTON, 15th June. US Central Command (CENTCOM) has said in a statement on Friday that a civilian mariner on board a trade ship in the Gulf of Aden has been severely injured as the vessel was hit in an attack carried out by Yemen’s Houthi rebels

The worker has been transferred to a nearby vessel for medical attention, CENTCOM wrote on X on Thursday. The nationality of the man was initially unclear.

“This continued reckless behavior by the Iranian-backed Houthis threatens regional stability and endangers the lives of mariners across the Red Sea and Gulf of Aden,” CENTCOM wrote.

CENTCOM said that fire broke out on the trade ship described as “a Palauan-flagged, Ukrainian-owned, Polish-operated bulk cargo carrier”, after it was attacked by two cruise missiles.

It said that crew were still fighting the flames.

According to CENTCOM, the M/V Verbena had been en route from Malaysia to Italy “carrying wood construction material.”

Houthi militants have fired on merchant ships in the Red Sea and the adjoining Gulf of Aden, a critical shipping route that connects to the Mediterranean through the Suez Canal.

The militants have said the attacks are intended to support Palestinian militant group Hamas by making it more difficult for cargo ships to reach Israel.

United States and the UK have carried out several military strikes against Houthi positions in Yemen in response of those attacks.

European Union has launched a military operation to protect merchant shipping in the Red Sea.

 

Comments are closed.