Anjali Sharma
GG News Bureau
WASHINGTON DC, 5th August. US Central Command’s General Michael Kurilla on Sunday arrived in the Middle East region after preparations for a possible Iran attack on Israel in response to the recent killings of senior Hamas and Hezbollah leaders, US news media reported citing two US officials.
Media reported that General Kurilla’s visit was planned before the recent escalation between Israel, Iran, and Hezbollah after the killing of Hamas political bureau Chief Ismail Haniyeh in Tehran is seen as a strategic move.
He is expected to mobilize the international and regional coalition that previously defended Israel against an attack from Iran on April 13, cited a US official.
The US and Israeli officials said that they expect Iran to launch an attack on Israel as early as Monday.
Iranian and Hezbollah leaders have pledged to retaliate for the killings of Hezbollah’s top military commander, Fuad Shukr, and Hamas political leader Ismail Haniyeh.
According to a US official, Kurilla is expected to visit several Gulf nations, including Israel and Jordan. Jordan is a key stop, as it played an important role during the April 13 attack by intercepting Iranian drones bound for Israel and allowing US and Israeli jets to use its airspace for interception.
The official said that the US hopes the same will happen again if needed. Americans are boosting its forces in the Middle East in preparation for Iran’s possible attack on Israel and sending more warships and fighter jets to the region, the Pentagon said on Friday, according to media report.
US officials expect Iranian retaliation to follow a similar pattern as their previous attack on Israel but may also involve Hezbollah in Lebanon, it reported.
The US government is concerned that it may be more difficult to mobilize the international and regional cooperation of nations that defended Israel from the previous Iranian attack, as Haniyeh’s killing has drawn sharp sentiments against Israel across the region.
The US and Israeli officials said they do not know whether Iran and Hezbollah will carry out a coordinated attack or operate separately. The officials said that they think Iran and Hezbollah are still working on finalizing their military plans and giving them approval at the political level.
US official said the Biden administration wanted to announce the boosting of US forces on Friday as Iran and Hezbollah were discussing their response with the hope that the announcement will help to deter and influence their military plans.
US President Joe Biden replied, “I hope so. I don’t know,” when asked whether he believes Iran will back down.
Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps said that Hamas political bureau chief Ismail Haniyeh was killed in an attack in Tehran.
IRGC said in a statement issued that Haniyeh and one of his bodyguards were killed when their residence was hit in Tehran.
A projectile hit a residence allocated to war veterans in Tehran at 2 am on Wednesday, according to a Press TV report.
Ismail Haniyeh, who was based in Qatar, travelled to Tehran to attend the swearing-in ceremony of the Iranian President-elect, Masoud Pezeshkian, according to a Press TV report.
Israel Defence Forces said that top Hezbollah commander Fuad Shukr was killed in the Israeli strike in southern Lebanon on Tuesday (local time).The IDF said Shukr was “responsible for the majority of Hezbollah’s most advanced weaponry, including precise-guided missiles, cruise missiles, anti-ship missiles, long-range rockets, and UAVs” and for the terror group’s “force build-up, planning, and execution of terror attacks against the State of Israel,” media reported.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said that his nation has delivered “crushing blows” to enemies in the last few days, media reported.
He made the remarks hours after the deaths of Hamas political leader Ismail Haniyeh and senior Hezbollah commander Fuad Shukr.
Comments are closed.