By Anjali Sharma
UNITED NATIONS –UN head António Guterres on Sunday said that the world body stands ready to support efforts to promote peace and stability in South Asia region after pronouncements of an end to hostilities between India and Pakistan, the two neighbours with nuclear powers.
Mr. Guterres in a statement released on late Saturday in New York came shortly after news broke of a decision by both India and Pakistan to de-escalate a situation that has caused widespread alarm in recent days.
The statement noted that the tensions had been steadily rising after a group of terrorists fired on tourists visiting Jammu and Kashmir in India on 22 April, killed at least 26 and injured scores more.
India and Pakistan both administer parts of the Jammu and Kashmir region but claim the territory in its entirety, and it has been a scene of unrest for decades, the statement said.
The fears grew of an outright military confrontation, and the UN expressed deep concern over deteriorating relations between both India and Pakistan.
Mr. Guterres told reporters in New York that the tensions were higher than they had been in years, and reiterated calls for maximum restrain, the statement noted.
It added that there were reports of jubilation in both India and Pakistan at news of the ceasefire, which is believed to be the result of talks mediated by the US, and was announced by representatives of all three countries on social media platforms.
There have been reports of skirmishes, including drone attacks since the truce was announced.
Mr. Guterres welcomed the ceasefire agreement as a positive step toward ending current hostilities and easing tensions the statement said.
It said that he hopes the agreement will “contribute to lasting peace and foster an environment conducive to addressing broader, longstanding issues between the two countries.”
Comments are closed.