Anjali Sharma
GG News Bureau
UNITED NATIONS, 5th Oct. UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres on Tuesday has strongly condemned the missile launch by the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea more which reportedly travelled over Japan, in a statement issued by UN spokesman Stephane Dujarric in New York.
The statement amd media rep[orts noted that the missile launch was the first to violate Japan’s air space since 2017, and the intermediate-range ballistic missile fell into the Pacific Ocean well away from the mainland.
Local media reported that residents in parts of northern Japan were woken by sirens and text alerts, and warned to watch out for possible falling debris.
It said the missile travelled some 4,500 kilometres (2,800 miles) the longest distance ever travelled by a North Korean weapon – reaching a height of 1,000km.
Japan, United States and South Korea held joint naval exercises last week for the first time since 2017.
They said they would be working closely together in conjunction with the wider international community, to coordinate an immediate and longer-term response to North Korea’s move the fifth missile launch in just a week.
The two rockets were launched by DPRK on Saturday outside the boundary of Japan’s exclusive economic zone.
UN Security Council resolutions forbid North Korea from conducting ballistic or nuclear weapons tests.
Mr. Guterres said in a statement that “This was a reckless act and a violation of Security Council resolutions”.
“It is also of serious concern that the DPRK has again disregarded any consideration for international flight or maritime safety.”
Guterres urged North Korea to “resume dialogue with the key parties concerned with a view to achieving sustainable peace and the complete and verifiable denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula.”
Secretary General condemned the launch of an intercontinental ballistic missile in March earlier which was DPRK’s first long-range test since 2017.
North Korea also tested intermediate-range ballistic launch in 2018, according to the statement .
North Korea has carried out 23 different weapons tests so far this year, it added.
Comments are closed.