UNSG deplores looting of  WFP office in Khartoum

Anjali Sharma

GG News Bureau

UNITED NATIONS, 9th May. UN chief Antonio Guterres on Monday has strongly condemned the looting of the World Food Programme’s main offices in Khartoum, over the weekend, described it as “violation” of humanitarian facilities, according to a statement issued by UN spokesperson in New York.

Mr. Guterres noted in a statement that “most, if not all, United Nations agencies and our humanitarian partners, have been impacted by large-scale looting”, since the military power struggle between the national army and rival RSF militia began fighting for 4 weeks.

Deputy Spokesperson Farhan Haq in a regular press briefing in New York said that it was mainly office and computer equipment that had been stolen at the weekend by so far unidentified looters.

He reminded that overall some 17,000 metric tonnes of food had been taken mostly in the first few days of the fighting, worth at least $13 million but probably a good deal more than that, once a full inventory can be taken.

Mr. Haq said that WFP had pre-positioned around 80,000 tonnes of grain and other foodstuffs before the violence began on 15 April, emphasizing that the looting was depriving civilians of potentially life-saving aid.

He confirmed that no food supplies were stolen during the weekend’s looting spree.

The statement released by Mr. Guterres stated “This is the latest violation of humanitarian facilities since the start of the crisis”.

It said “The Secretary-General reiterates the need for parties to protect and respect humanitarian workers and facilities, including hospitals. Civilians and civilian infrastructure must be protected in order to save lives.”

Mr. Guterres said that the “needs of the Sudanese people, who are caught up in a humanitarian catastrophe, must come first.”

Deputy spokesman Mr. Haq said the UN and humanitarian partners were “working to expand humanitarian operations”, including improving the distribution network of aid around Sudan, “as we respond to rapidly growing needs.”

UNICEF and partners in Blue Nile State are supporting health and nutrition programmes, including immunizations, screening and treatment for malnutrition, as well as pregnancy care and reproductive health services, he told correspondents.

He said that in North Darfur the  medicine, water and other items had gone to around 20 healthcare facilities, as well as sanitation and hygiene support, with at least 100,000 litres of water trucked in.

Mr. Haq added that 30 tonnes of medical supplies were delivered to Port Sudan by the WHO with the help of United Arab Emirates.

“The shipment contained enough trauma, essential medicine and emergency surgical items to reach 165,000 people via 13 major health facilities. It is WHO first air delivery to Sudan since the conflict erupted.”

He added that customs clearance had been secured last week for around 80 tonnes of medical supplies that were offloaded in Port Sudan where the UN and other agencies are basing operations and creating a large hub after relocation from Khartoum.

Mr. Haq noted that these supplies include intravenous fluids and supplies for the treatment of traumatic injuries and severe acute malnutrition.

“With more humanitarian shipments expected to arrive in Sudan in the coming days and weeks, we call for customs clearance to be expedited to ensure that life-saving assistance can reach people in need as quickly as possible”, said Mr. Haq.

WFP restarted its operations in Sudan to meet the needs of 384,000 pre-existing refugees, host communities and both pre-existing and newly internally displaced people across Gedaref, Gezira, Kassala and White Nile, Mr Haq told reporters in New York.

He added “This is the first time WFP will be providing emergency food assistance in Gezira, where we are seeing freshly displaced families fleeing the conflict in Khartoum.”

Comments are closed.