UNICEF says children bears brunt of Afghan crisis

Anjali Sharma

GG News Bureau

UNITED NATIONS, 19th May. UNICEF representative in Afghanistan Fran Equiza on Thursday told reporters  in New York that 90 percent of the population in Afghanistan is on the brink of poverty “and children bear the brunt of it.”

“Because, in what is a deeply troubled country grappling with humanitarian catastrophe, climate related disasters, and egregious human rights abuses – too many people have forgotten that Afghanistan is a children’s rights crisis,” he said.

Mr. Equiza warned that the situation is getting worse.

He noted 2.3 million Afghan boys and girls are expected to face acute malnutrition.  Over 875,000 will need treatment for severe acute malnutrition, a life-threatening condition.

The agency noted that 840,000 pregnant women and breastfeeding mothers are likely to experience acute malnutrition, jeopardising their ability to give their babies the best start in life.

Mr. Equiza added that fighting has stopped but decades of conflict mean that every day, children’s rights are violated “in the most appalling ways”.

He said Afghanistan is the most “weapons-contaminated countries” in the world, and most of the casualties are children.

He cited preliminary data suggesting that 134 children were killed or maimed.

“This is the reality of the escalating danger faced by Afghan children as they explore areas that were previously inaccessible due to fighting,” he said.

“Many of those killed and maimed are children collecting scrap metal to sell. Because that’s what poverty does. It compels you to send your children to work not because you want to, but because you have to.”

Over 1.6 million Afghan children  as young as 6 years old are trapped in child labour, working in dangerous conditions just to help their parents put food on the table.

Mr. Equiza added  that “And where education used to be a symbol of hope, children’s right to learn is under attack,”.

“Girls across Afghanistan have been denied their right to learn for over 3 years now  due to COVID-19 and  since September 2021, because of the ban on attending secondary school. I don’t need to tell you of the impact of these absences on their mental health.”

He underlined UNICEF’s commitment to stay and deliver for the women and children in Afghanistan, where it has had a presence for nearly 75 years.

“We’re adapting to the fast-changing realities on the ground, finding solutions to reach the children that need us the most, while ensuring that Afghan women employed by UNICEF can continue their invaluable contribution to our work for children,” he said.

He noted that UNICEF’s Humanitarian Action for Children Appeal is only 22 percent funded.

He called for greater support from the international community with needs of Afghan people rising day by day.

 

Comments are closed.