UNHCR reports refugees surge in South Sudan

By Anjali Sharma

UNITED NATIONS – UN refugee agency on Tuesday has issued an alert after a surge in the number of displaced people fleeing Sudan into South Sudan.

UNHCR cited over 20,000 crossed into South Sudan last week alone, with the number of daily arrivals tripling, compared to previous weeks.

This includes South Sudanese refugees who have been leaving camps in Sudan’s White Nile State where fighting between Government and opposition militia is continuing.

The agency said “The majority of those displaced are women and children,”  as it underscored the impact of the conflict on vulnerable populations.

UNHCR spokesperson Olga Sarrado said some were leaving due to the direct impact of continuing violence but others were fearful “of how the situation can evolve in the next few days. Our teams are on the ground UNHCR and partners but of course, the situation is extremely worrying in terms of humanitarian assistance.”

UN agency reported people arriving at the main border crossing at Joda, but also at informal crossing points which are extremely difficult to access.

UNHCR added that all the new arrivals need life-saving humanitarian support, with water and healthcare the most urgent needs, especially given the ongoing cholera outbreak.

Comments are closed.