By Anjali Sharma
UNITED NATIONS – UN Spokesperson Stéphane Dujarric on Wednesday told reporters in New York that after 11 days of an Israeli aid blockade in Gaza, “crucial progress” made during the first 6 weeks of the ceasefire between Israeli forces and Hamas militants “continues to unravel”.
He cited reports from humanitarians in the Gaza Strip said it was becoming more difficult to access “decent and sufficient food, water, medical services and other vital items”.
Mr. Dujarric said restoring the overall healthcare system was progressing, but progress is proving slow.
In the devastated northern areas, only 16 per cent of health service points are functioning either fully or partially, he noted.
He added “That includes three out of five hospitals, six out of 50 medical points and four of over two dozen primary healthcare centres”.
Mr. Dujarri said that overflowing trash heaps are creating unsanitary living conditions for civilians who have tried to return to shattered homes, heightening public health risks.
He reiterated that a lack of spare parts means that 80 per cent of all waste collection vehicles and containers are damaged or destroyed.
Humanitarians have noted a lack of adequate management of infectious medical waste while some solid waste is being mixed with debris contaminated with explosive hazards.
The danger posed by unexploded ordnance has led to at least three deaths and nearly 40 injured in 18 explosions recorded so far this year in Gaza.
Dujarric said “Education efforts are making some headway,”.
He added “Since the start of the ceasefire, our partners have set up more than 200 temporary learning spaces, bringing the total to over 630. These spaces support more than 170,000 children.”
UN spokesman noted that 60% of all school-age children in Gaza have access to some form of learning, either in schools or in temporary spaces.
Comments are closed.